Q400 Saving Flight Control input numbers - how does it work?

edited August 2021 in Customer support

Hi,
After setting the calibration in the Control Panel and selecting "Apply", I restarted Prepar3D (v5.2) and when I looked in the same Control Panel I noticed that all of the settings / calibrations were gone. How do I know if they were saved? Were they saved?

Comments

• I just found a recent exchange in this forum on this very topic and will address my questions there

• Sorry... that thread has been closed. I followed the suggested workaround and the control panel won't let me set the calibrations and other parameters when not in the simulator.

Is it 'ok' to overwrite the 'mch84.ini' file by replacing the default values with those set within the simulator and then save the file back into my PC drive with those changes? I guess this is the only way to do this, outside of resetting those values at the beginning of each flight.

• Hi @WSox21

Due to LM making some changes in v5.2, which we have requested to have them fix (patiently waiting) the CPAN functionality has been broken while will require a major backend change, so it will remain this way until we are forced to change it.

I would not recommend having the mjc84.ini over-written as you could inadvertently corrupt the file causing additional items to not work. What I would however suggest is:

1. Back up a copy of the mjc84.ini
    2. Proceed to make the changes to the CPAN for your control input devices, with the Q400 running.
    3. Click APPLY.
    4. Go to the "Vehicle" option and load a different livery of the Q400.

The changes should now take place. Unfortunately, this process does not work for installing or removing the HGS. In this case, one would have to make the change in the CPAN, click APPLY, and then restart the SIMULATOR.

Another option, if you have the values recorded you can open the mjc84.ini and manually make the changes, and be sure to make a backup copy so that if having to reinstall the aircraft you can simply install the backup and get back to flying in a quicker time frame.

Cheers

• Hello kroswynd!

Thank you for your reply and I do understand the challenges caused by the sim updating to a new version (I hope LM gets back to you, guys). The Q400 is the best aircraft in my personal 'virtual' hangar and I really want to enjoy it. It was a gift from my twin brother, who spoke very highly of your company.

I followed your directions and noticed that the next vehicle starts with the ground power unit connected, instead of in 'ready to taxi' mode (which I selected in the CPAN). In addition, the .ini file does not show any of the selected flight controls or engine controls settings from the CPAN (I clicked on "Apply"). The CPAN is still open on my screen and it shows my selected settings but if I close the CPAN or exit from the sim it appears that I will need to reset those items. I am not sure these steps helped save any configuration.

I tried the other option (adding my recorded settings to the .ini file). I saved the file as ".txt" first, then opened it and made those changes. The system, however, prevented me from saving that modified file into its folder (whether as an ".ini" or a ".txt" file). It appears that I have admin rights to edit / write... perhaps I am not doing something right?? Any suggestions? Thank you.

• Hello @WSox21 ,

@WSox21 said:

I followed your directions and noticed that the next vehicle starts with the ground power unit connected, instead of in 'ready to taxi' mode (which I selected in the CPAN). In addition, the .ini file does not show any of the selected flight controls or engine controls settings from the CPAN (I clicked on "Apply"). The CPAN is still open on my screen and it shows my selected settings but if I close the CPAN or exit from the sim it appears that I will need to reset those items. I am not sure these steps helped save any configuration.

It is possible that the aircraft may initially load with the GPU being visible, but it should switch to the assigned panel state after the aircraft and script are fully loaded, provided that the panel state that you desire is also properly selected.

I tried the other option (adding my recorded settings to the .ini file). I saved the file as ".txt" first, then opened it and made those changes. The system, however, prevented me from saving that modified file into its folder (whether as an ".ini" or a ".txt" file). It appears that I have admin rights to edit / write... perhaps I am not doing something right?? Any suggestions? Thank you.

>
    There is no need to change the name of the file. Just simply make a backup of the file by copying it to another location. Make the desired changes and simply save. If something becomes messed up then you have the original file to reference and or replaced the corrupt file. I have attached a sample video of changing the nose wheel steering in the mjc84.ini with CPAN only open - Simulator is closed

• Hi kroswynd,

I created a backup file on my desktop (which I titled "ORIGINALmjc84.ini") and then made the changes to the .ini file located in Program Files > Prepar3D v5 > SimObjects > Airplanes> mjc8q400 > ini, but when I try to save those changes the system tells me that I don't have permission to open that file and that I need to see the owner of that file or an administrator to obtain permission. Right-clicking on that .ini file shows the 'Read-only' box unticked/unchecked, plus under 'Security' > 'Permissions for Administrators' I see "Allow" for Full Control, Modify, Read and Execute, Write (BUT NOT for Special Permissions). Selecting 'Advanced' for Special Permission won't allow me to add anything else... Let me know if I am doing this correctly please. I am the owner of the PC and the 'administrator'. Also, I don't see your sample video in your last reply.

• My apologies on that one....

Cheers

• Thank you sharing. How did you get that file to close and save w/out the '.ini' extension at the end? Mine won't open without it and, once I have it open, it won't save any changes (the system won't allow any modification to the document and keeps reverting back to the default June 30, 2020 version). Does the fact perhaps that the file is saved on my 'C' drive (along with P3RD) have anything to do with this?

Also, I noticed that my version of that file does not have any default selection by "[CONFIGURATION] cockpitConfigScript=" (there's nothing typed after the "=" sign). I can type "ccColdAndDark" but again, the file will not save the added words. Strange

• Hey Kroswynd,
    I started to follow some tutorials, which require the use of the control panel to set different weights/balances and other settings but I am not sure the system is transferring anything I am inputting in that panel. Plus, every time I start a new tutorial, I can never be in 'cold and dark', or in any other required state. Not a good start. Is there a resolution to this issue, other than what you suggested, which is not working on my end?

• edited September 2021
    Hello @WSox21

Going through your posts it would seem as though you have a permissions issue which may require you do so some research on granting full permissions to use the file. Until this is sorted then it is very possible that the underlying issues you are encountering may persist.

The CPAN it is recommended that you open using Administrator Rights as well, so that data is able to be transmitted to the aircraft which will pause the aircraft to ensure that the settings have been transferred.
  • I reinstalled the AC because I was experiencing some weird flickering on the screens and now the work-around that was fixed back in Sept. is no longer working. I simply saved the .txt file saved back in Sept. for the .ini configuration and added it to the 'ini' folder after reinstalling the Dash 8. Any suggestion? Will this issue ever be fixed? I appreciate the help but this is very annoying.

• I guess no luck on this one...wonderful!

• Not being able to save the content to a file is something out of our control as one can only guess that is has to do with a permissions issue.

While this has happened to a few users the only way they corrected the issue was by ensuring that the Q400 was installed using Admin rights and when opening the cpan/syspan do so as well by using admin rights.

Cheers
  • I did that when I installed the aircraft. W/regard to opening the cpanel / system panel w/admin rights, where do I check if I am doing that right, in case I don't see that?

• Right click on the CPAN or SYSPAN and choose "Run As Administrator" from the drop menu