VRInsight Combo Panel
  • Will the VRinsight combo panel work through LINDA to control the Q400?
  • Just now you can make a lot of mouse macros with fsuipc - and this works already fine with VRINSIGHT Combo Panel. For the proper version you have to wait for the special modul for this plane.
    The downside is that there are some important buttons which cannot be assigned by a macro or which have a macro but it does not work on a button or key. Hwo some buttons work is quite strange in the DASH8 never had this before - even with touch screens you cannot manipulate a lot of buttons and switches - it looks like you will never forget the mouse completely.
    Cheers Tom
  • Some of the dials are going to need LUA Scripts to adjust the L:Vars directly, I've already enabled the CPT Map Range dial through Linda with a little script I copied from an Airbus LUA script.

-- ## CPT Ped ##

function ND_RANGE_inc ()

i = ipc.readLvar("L:PED_CPT_RANGE_KNOB")

if i < 5 then
                   ipc.writeLvar("L:PED_CPT_RANGE_KNOB", i+1)
            ipc.sleep(10)

end

end

function ND_RANGE_dec ()

i = ipc.readLvar("L:PED_CPT_RANGE_KNOB")

if i > 0 then
                   ipc.writeLvar("L:PED_CPT_RANGE_KNOB", i-1)
            ipc.sleep(10)

end

end

Hopefully stuff like this will be easier in the pro version as I hate scripting and I'm not very good at it.
  • Ok great...
  • Hi Andy, for the moment a lot of fsuipc makros are working fine. Example all Autopilot functions and buttons are working with macros. Only the ALT SELECT button don't. It does not stay on after pressing via macro. Are you able to write a script for that, maybe it works better. There are a lot of other switches and buttons which have to be adessed by a script cause macro making is not possible.
    Cheers Tom
  • Andy, if you started to write a module please tell us how to do this or better just send the module with that little script you wrote. I myself have no idea where to insert your script lines.
    Thnx Tom
  • You may have already done this but first you need to add the Q400 to Linda by pressing the "New" button next to where it says "FSX default" / FSX sync. Select mjc8q400 from the list of aircraft in the large pane at the bottom and put a mark in the radio box "create from template".

Click the big MCP Combo button and LINDA will create a default set of commands for the Q400 and the VRi MCP. Once you have done the above then you can copy this file below to the folder;
    ...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\linda\aircrafts\mjc8q400

This is the file to copy to the folder above;
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21030205/actions.lua

Any future edits can either be made directly to the actions.lua file with something like notepad++ or you can use the editor built into LINDA which you may not be able to see until you tick the developer box in LINDA. I'm not even sure where that option is these days as its been a very long time since I used LINDA in none developer or normal user mode.

There are literally only those two commands in there so far, as I said I hate scripting like this and I have very little time to spend on it anyway. It's as shame Guenter went travelling as he was awesome at this stuff and he seemed to love it too, lol.

To help you find the other L:Vars use the LINDA TRACER (lua variables column) to test the various obviously named functions by toggling a SET VALUE. For example the Map Range function I tested "PED_CPT_RANGE_KNOB" (scroll down the list of variables or type a filter such as CPT to narrow the list, then right click on PED_CPT_RANGE_KNOB so it turns red)  has 0 as the lowest range (10) going all the way up to 5 for the longest range (240). If you put 0 in the first box on the left and 5 in the box to the right and then click on Toggle in the middle, you will see the map range knob in the cockpit jump from range 10 to range 240. 

There is a help document included with LINDA that explains the EDITOR and TRACER utilities. If you need anymore help you will have to ask elsewhere I am afraid, I don't have the time or patience to explain it in anymore detail, its not my field for a start so I don't know all that much about it anyway and I'm too busy at the moment, sorry. 

Fortunately as you say a lot of the stuff does work via FSUIPC mouse macros, thank goodness, lol.
  • The downside is that there are some important buttons which cannot be assigned by a macro or which have a macro but it does not work on a button or key.

I'm so glad someone that knows LUA and LINDA is working on this. Thank you so much!
  • Andy, thnx for your answers and the little script it works like a charme. May I ask you to make such a script just for the ALT_SELECT buttom on the glareshield...?
    Kind Regards Tom
  • I'll give it a try, no guarantee's I will be able to make it work though, I'll try and take a look tomorrow.
  • THNX Andy!
    Tom
  • I've taken a look at this just now and unfortunately ALT SEL isn't linked with any variables at all so it's impossible for me to write a script for it. Perhaps Majestic will provide a few L:Vars for things like this in the future. Perhaps there is even a bug in the way the mouse macros work for this feature but to be honest that sort of thing is beyond my understanding.
  • I'm still trying, I've tried experimenting with some advanced features of FSUIPC mouse macros, using multi line macros and I still can't get it to work.

At first I had a Eureaka moment because I realised if you kept the ALT SEL button held down in the VC with the mouse the ALT SEL mode would become unarmed again after a couple of seconds, and this is exactly what happens if you create a mouse macro and then assign it to a joystick button, i.e. it switches on OK but less than 2 seconds later it turns off again. So sorry I still cannot get it to work, perhaps this info will help the developers provide us a fix or a work around in the future.
  • I think this is not a bug  it is what the developers see as realistic simulation. Maybe reality works like this that you have to press longer to disengage the selection. But this kind of reality forces the simmer to use the very unrealistic computer mouse instead of hardware or modern touch screens - that is what majestic said in a private discussion. It had be easy and without any problems to use the right click for a real world realistic long click - then it would be easy to assign hardware.
    Maybe majestic will provide the possibility to assign hardware on a future SP or on the PRO Version. That would be a real step forward for this wonderful simulation.
    Thnx Tom
  • ALT SEL must be pressed for >2 seconds to disangage
  • Actually ALT SEL isn't an issue now as it is tied to "Ap Panel Altitude Hold" which you can access in FSUIPC and possibly in standard.xml if you know what you are doing. Sending this command will toggle ALT SEL between on and off, there is no need to hold the button pressed, which is fortunate as VRinsight hardware does not support buttons being held to trigger a function.
  • I certainly hope Majestic releases an update which allows FULL assignments to hardware. I fly most of my aircraft with hardware switches, especially the NGX and to have this beauty of a bird in my hangar and have to use the mouse on switches is disappointing.
  • I certainly hope Majestic releases an update which allows FULL assignments to hardware. I fly most of my aircraft with hardware switches, especially the NGX and to have this beauty of a bird in my hangar and have to use the mouse on switches is disappointing.
  • Most of it does work Howard via LINDA at least, at the moment the main functions missing are radio panel related, MJC need to tie to the default write functions so that we can use hardware to adjust the radio frequencies and flip flops etc. Our panels can read the frequencies ok as they are set in the aircraft by the aircraft and mouse etc, but we cannot send an info from our hardware to the radio at this stage. I think MJC are going to add this support later, after they fix the other major bugs they have to deal with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories