Gear level won't move to retract (NOT THE GEAR PINS ISSUE)

Been flying this great plane for a while, having my first issue. Upon take off, I can't get the gear level to even move to retract the gear. This is not the gear pins issue (pins are stowed and verified). Even if it was, the gear lever itself would still move. I tried remapping it on my flight stick and keyboard, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Do me a favor, next time it happens, pause the SIM, un-pause the SIM then use the G key and let me know if that works.

Thanks

• I too am having this issue. Tried the pause and un-pause and then pressing G, but nothing. I can move the lever up if I manually unlock the lever but the gear still will not retract. Gear pins are stowed and verified.

• Have you applied the latest patch?
  • Hello,

I confirm that I also have this issue with the latest patch installed.
    Could you consider investigating this issue ?

Thanks

• Kindly be specific regarding you issue.

1. Gear handle not moving
    2. Handle moving but gear not retracting

Could you consider investigating? I would think this is what we have been doing for the past several months.

This issue is not common to many and is not replicatabw by a certain sequence of events.

But thank you for the heads up... Back to the drawing board.
  • Thank you for your reply.

The issue is the gear handle not moving. It seems that it has nothing to do with gears pins.
    I performed some tests : loading the aircraft, waiting for the scripts to end and try to move the gear handle and, indeed, it is not predictable but it happens sometimes.

It seems that if I move the gear handle during the c&d script, it works, otherwise it might not work.
    Moreover, i have FS2Crew but no need to launch it to have the issue.

I added the two lines int the c&d script to force the gear handle to move:

COPY #FlightControls_->sensors.GearHandlePos    0
        COPY #FlightControls_->sensors.GearHandlePos    1

I don't know if it will solve the problem but i will keep you informed if the problem appears again.

• @kroswynd said:
    Kindly be specific regarding you issue.

1. Gear handle not moving
    2. Handle moving but gear not retracting

Could you consider investigating? I would think this is what we have been doing for the past several months.

This issue is not common to many and is not replicatabw by a certain sequence of events.

But thank you for the heads up... Back to the drawing board.

Hi Kroswynd, I experienced the same issue today. Gear pins were stowed but still gear won't retract. The gear handle was moving. Wearofffactor=0. FYI
    Regards

• The wear_off_factor has nothing to do with the gear issues, and if you fail to ensure gear pins are not secured before takeoff you will still reap the repercussions of the gear failing to retract.
  • > @kroswynd said:
    > The wear_off_factor has nothing to do with the gear issues, and if you fail to ensure gear pins are not secured before takeoff you will still reap the repercussions of the gear failing to retract.
    >
    >

Thanks for the prompt reply. I made sure that pins were stowed but still ran into gear retraction problem. The same thing happened on second attempt after p3d v4.5 restart. Third and subsequent flights did not encounter the gear issue. It happened randomly. I thought it had something to do with wear off factor.
  • same issue here - but it is only a random issue and - in my case - it concerns not only the gear lever, but also sometimes the rudder or the aileron. Only a restart of the sim (P3D 4.5) solve this problem. I really want to know, what can be the reason for this issue. For me it is mainly annoying when I fly on VATSIM and realise after the takeoff clearance that the the rudder or the aileron doesn't react...

Regards, Uli

• edited June 2020

A flight control check should allow you to see if controls are working prior to taking the active for takeoff. Although your issue has to be compounded by another underlying issue, not a common issue. Especially if you are not able to replicate it. Just listening to your situation, if happens again:
    1. Pause the sim
    2. Save the scenario
    3. Reload it and see if the input device responds (if it fails to respond)
    4. Unplug the affected input device and then plug it in again
    5. Unpause the sim and see if affected input device works (of course you would have to disconnect from the online server) or declare an emergency due to flight control issue.

The gear issue, I have experienced but it's not an issue that we can identify through rounds of troubleshooting as it will not present itself again regardless of what we throw at it (still a work in progress).

Keep us posted

• I’m also seeing this issue from time to time (gear handle want move up by mouse click, G key or the assigned joystick button that I have set up.

But I have solved this by using the XML interface instead of the internal FS commands for gear up/down on my joystick button. Seems like the XML interface still respond if this bug occurs!
  • Just had this issue, and kroswynd's method for pausing the sim, saving the scenario etc worked for me.

Not sure what caused it, but the gear pins wear in when I did the preflight, removed them and verified they were in the bag afterwards and once again when I couldn't get the handle to move. I also checked the gear horn during the preflight. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

• I just suffered this today for the first time in all my Dash 8 flying.

Currently using P3D V5 HF2 with V1_021_x64.

Gear pins verified as installed prior to departure (always).

Tried the pause/un-pause then "G" and also my joystick button, gear handle and gear remains in the down and locked position. I do not fly with any online service. The flight from the previous day was perfect.

I also noticed today that my FSUIPC mapping for my axis spoiler set is also not working. I only use FSUIPC for this and nothing else - maybe there is a connection somewhere?

Thanks

Ken

• Hello Ken,

Thanks for the update. we have reports from both FSUIPC and Non-FSUIPC users regarding this, but does not hurt to keep that in mind.

• edited February 2021

Hi Kroswynd.

I've been flying the Dash pretty much constantly over the last few months. Today, the landing gear retract issue is back, with the gear handle, assigned jostick key and default ´G´key having no effect. More interestingly, when i go to the outside view, I only see contrails from the No. 1 engine, nothing from No. 2 - indications in the cockpit are good. I wonder if this might somehow be related? I've only noticed the contrails today due to the OAT. I also wonder if this might be a procedural thing. Today, I was pushed back from that gate and then I applied the parking brake before commencing engine start. Most times I start No.2 during pushback.....

• Hi @ScottecLEMD

Thank you for the update. The observation of the contrail is interesting although I doubt it is related (although it could be possible). That effect if I am not mistaken is driven by the Dash 8 immersion, but certainly interesting to see only one engine producing the effect.

As far as the possibility of being a procedural issue, if it were I suspect that the issue would be easier to replicate, as I too do perform several types of engine starts during the pushback phase. I guess the question could be what could be the commonality between all users who have experienced (myself included) the gear failing to retract event (I have used the Q400 immersion in the past - but having to install and re-install for testing I just don't use it).

What ever is causing this issue is happening between the pushback and takeoff phase, almost as if the WOW sensor thinks that the aircraft is still on the ground, but also prevents the gear handle from moving as well.

• hi Kroswynd,

Just for info, I do not use the Dash 8 immersion, only preciptx and contrails have worked in the past. It just seems coincidental that gear is down and only one contrail. :-) Onwards and upwards.

• Hi @ScottecLEMD ,

Thanks for the heads up, it is odd

• Looks like we are a year later. I'm having this issue. Anybody ever figure steps to correct this?

• This has been one of the more challenging bugs to replicate and find a definite cause. While have speculated a few possible causes but the back end work to address this if it is the cause is will be time consuming.

We try to collect as much info from users experiencing the issue to see if there is anything in common with scenery, etc
  • @kroswynd said:
    This has been one of the more challenging bugs to replicate and find a definite cause. While have speculated a few possible causes but the back end work to address this if it is the cause is will be time consuming.

We try to collect as much info from users experiencing the issue to see if there is anything in common with scenery, etc

Understand. I can tell you I was leaving FSimStudios Halifax CYHZ. Used GSX to deice and do a pushback. Light snow. If it happens again is there a specific error log type file you would like me to send to you guys?