approach mode automatic ?

Lets say for an ILS approach, will it with to FMS1 to NAV1 automically and use the FMS tuned radio frequency and set the correct ILS course ?

I alays have to set HDG prior FAF and then set VOR1 from FMS1, then adjust the ILS course and finally press the APPR button.

If you are in FMS1, shouldn't it automatically select NAV1 radio frequency and set the correct ILS COURSE and even arm the LOC ?

Comments

• I don't normally use the FMS tune but I think that's all it will do-- tune the radio. You still have to set the inbound course, switch from FMS1 to ILS1 (magenta to blue needles). That's the minimum setup to get the ILS info displayed in front of you to hand fly it. If you want the flight director and additionally the autopilot to track the signal you still need to manually push APPR (or NAV if ATC tells you to join the localizer course first without clearing you for the approach).

• @afcraig2010 said:
    I don't normally use the FMS tune but I think that's all it will do-- tune the radio. You still have to set the inbound course, switch from FMS1 to ILS1 (magenta to blue needles). That's the minimum setup to get the ILS info displayed in front of you to hand fly it. If you want the flight director and additionally the autopilot to track the signal you still need to manually push APPR (or NAV if ATC tells you to join the localizer course first without clearing you for the approach).

gotcha, but if you are not using auto tune and press arm apporach then tune on the Nav page of the MCDU,will it auto tune ?