Joystick Interface and Variables question

edited February 2020 in Customer support

Hi aviators, I've been flying the beauty around for a few weeks now, fairly recently upgraded to PRO, which was extremely worth it, might I say.
Now I just got some new hardware and have some buttons to spare, so I wanted to set some of them (those for commands that I cannot set via FSX like Flaps and Gear) up using the .ini via the Joystick Interface Config. This works fine for the usual suspects like AP Disc, AP Engage and TCS. However, I'd like to use buttons to apply/realease the control lock and to engage/disengage nose wheel steering but when trying to set that up, they both share the same issue. These are the only relevant variables I could find:

FlightControls_->inputs.controlLockOn
FlightControls_->sensors.steeringSwitch

The button now won't toggle the switch on/off, it will only set the switch (or control lock) to ON while it is being depressed and the items flick back into the previous setting once I let go of the button. Obviously that's not really helpful. Is there a way to link these actions to controller buttons and have them toggle like if I clicked them in the VC, ideally just using the .ini? I don't mind getting my hands dirty in there and quite honestly I'd like to avoid having to shell out another 20+ bucks on a Full FSPUIC so I can use LINDA... am I gonna have to find something else to do with all those buttons I have now? :( Or is this possibly an issue with my hardware? Am I all off with those variables? I figure since "sensors.steeringSwitch" isn't even an "input.X" it must be wrong, eh?
Any help would be appreciated very much.

Comments

• If anyone could then at least confirm that what I'm trying to do isn't possible, that would be appreciated as well...

• Anyone with just a quick info on what variables can or can't be used for this? I would especially like the gust lock on a joystick button (or any button, for that matter, rather than having to click the thing). Is that a thing I can do without third party addons or what?

• Is this thread even public or am I talking to myself here?

• Hi,

First of all: the bucks for the registered version of FSUIPC are more than worth the money. You get a lot of possibilities to implement interfacing.

One idea, which came across my mind (but I am not sure, if it is possible to use these features in the free version), is to use the 288 virtual buttons provided by FSUIPC via offset 0x3340. You could use your hardware buttons to toggle one of these buttons (in fact a bit toggle in the offset area). Then you could link that virtual button (joystick 64 to 72) to the commands via Q400 INI-file. I have not tested that function, but at least it is a chance to implement your need.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• @aua668 said:
    Hi,

First of all: the bucks for the registered version of FSUIPC are more than worth the money. You get a lot of possibilities to implement interfacing.

One idea, which came across my mind (but I am not sure, if it is possible to use these features in the free version), is to use the 288 virtual buttons provided by FSUIPC via offset 0x3340. You could use your hardware buttons to toggle one of these buttons (in fact a bit toggle in the offset area). Then you could link that virtual button (joystick 64 to 72) to the commands via Q400 INI-file. I have not tested that function, but at least it is a chance to implement your need.

Rgds
    Reinhard

Thanks for your idea. Don't think these features are available in the free version, but I've decided I'll go ahead and register FSUIPC afterall, seeing as how I've expanded my fleets a little and switching controls for each a/c via FSX is... misery.
    I'm just still a little curious why these commands don't toggle the switches when linked manually. There must be some modifier to the commands when they're executed "normally" by clicking the switch or the gust lock in the VC that's not present in the variables list, right? Will FSUIPC even be able to address that? Is there anyone here who has a working button assignment via FSUIPC for the Q400 control lock and can confirm?

• Hi,
    I use an LUA file with the following contents and then mapped to an axis on my CH Throttle Quad via FSUIPC (paid version), I named the file MJC84ContLock.lua and placed it in the Modules folder of FSX:SE. I use Notepad++ to create/edit LUA files. Works well for me as long as the lever is in the OFF position before I load the sim...

---        
    if ipcPARAM == 500 then
    ipc.writeLvar("L:Q400_CONTROL_LOCK", 100)
    ipc.control(66587,282)
    ---
    elseif ipcPARAM == 501 then
    ipc.writeLvar("L:Q400_CONTROL_LOCK", 0)
    ipc.control(66587,282)  

end

Hope this helps...

Cheers

John

• Thanks mate, that works! Took me some fiddling to get everything set up but I'm basically where I wanted to be now. A little edit of your LUA file also gives me a working toggle for the n/w. I'm happy!

• Glad you've got it sorted, you can now enjoy flying this fantastic aircraft!

John