Condition lever

Hi guys.
About condition lever position for taxi.
In checklist I must to put condition lever to max after start
But I don't understand why I need max for taxi.
Me normally I put in minimum position for taxi and before take off
I put in max position.
My question is why I must to put in max to taxi and what you
do ?

Comments

• There are only four positions. Fuel Off, Start Feather, Min and Max. The first two of course you can't taxi with... no engine running or a feathered engine. The Min or Max on the ground for taxi purposes is no different as far as I know... so we just push it forward to Max where it needs to be for takeoff. One less thing to forget if we don't.

There may be some other reason for Max vs Min... maybe someone will chime in.

• You should always taxi with it in max. You're almost always taxiing with the props in the beta range anyways, so you're never going to reach even 850RPM during taxi, especially because the gust lock should still be on until you go to line up. At my airline IRL, as soon as we finish pushing back, or get both engines fired up at the gate if we taxi directly out of the gate, the condition levers go immediately to max, and stay there until after take off when we bring them back to 900 for the climb. They then go to 850 for cruise, and descent.

For 90% of the landings, we hit RDC NP and bring the condition levers to max to keep the prop RPM at 850 for a quieter landing, but will automatically bring the prop RPM to 1020 in case of a go around, but every now and then we bring the props to 1020 (condition levers to max without hitting RDC NP) if its extremely windy and gusty, or for a CAT II/III approach, or other scenarios as needed (certain emergencies/abnormal situations, etc).

Got off on a bit of a tanget, but there ya go.

• Thank you for your comments I understand now.
  • That was an excellent description for the Q. My mind was off on a PT6 I guess with the min/max. Silly me.

@zedlin said:
    You should always taxi with it in max. You're almost always taxiing with the props in the beta range anyways, so you're never going to reach even 850RPM during taxi, especially because the gust lock should still be on until you go to line up. At my airline IRL, as soon as we finish pushing back, or get both engines fired up at the gate if we taxi directly out of the gate, the condition levers go immediately to max, and stay there until after take off when we bring them back to 900 for the climb. They then go to 850 for cruise, and descent.

For 90% of the landings, we hit RDC NP and bring the condition levers to max to keep the prop RPM at 850 for a quieter landing, but will automatically bring the prop RPM to 1020 in case of a go around, but every now and then we bring the props to 1020 (condition levers to max without hitting RDC NP) if its extremely windy and gusty, or for a CAT II/III approach, or other scenarios as needed (certain emergencies/abnormal situations, etc).

Got off on a bit of a tanget, but there ya go.