Steering issues

I have been away from the Dash 8 for a while and did not have an issue with the aircraft before. But now (with no change in my hardware) when I attempt to take off - the plane pulls so hard to the left that it immediately leaves the runway and moves left are about a 25degree pull. Steering hard right and full right rudder does nothing.

I have tried FSUIPC and the supplied axis settings - both without success.

My next move is to delete the plane and download/install it again.

Franklin Duncan

Comments

• As in a real piston airplane : ruddertrim right before the takeoff run

• As mentioned by airwolf, unless you trim the rudder a good amount to the right there is absolutely no keeping this thing on the runway. That's realistic. Both props spin the same direction and will create significant yaw. Here are the trim values that I use for t/o:
    NTOP - 22 units right
    RTOP 85% - 18-19 units right
    RTOP 79% - 15-16 units right

These are fairly rudimentary and don't account much for crosswinds or runway conditions, but that's the gist. Also, I always thought the t/o config warning horn would sound if the rudder isn't trimmed?

• The Takeoff warning horn sounds if any of the following are not in their correct position:

Elevator Trim
    Parking Brake
    Condition Levers
    Flaps
    Possibly the ECU selector, not sure about the Q400...that was a Dash 8 Classic thing...

Also, make sure you select the T/O WARN Test on the Captain’s side panel to make sure everything is set correctly. If it is, you won’t hear anything. If it isn’t, you’ll hear the warning horn. Check the position of everything and run the test one more time.

Also.. those trim values seem excessive to me. I use 2-3 units of right rudder trim and that seems to work pretty well for me at all power settings.

• edited January 2021

Blazer05 quote

when I attempt to take off - the plane pulls so hard to the left that it immediately leaves the runway and moves left are about a 25degree pull. Steering hard right and full right rudder does nothing.<

This sounds like a duplicate axis assignment, possibly a condition lever doing double duty as the yoke X axis. If you have recently unplugged a controller and then plugged it into a different usb port, the sim will automatically reassign all of the axis' and buttons on that particular controller. Check your simulator controls menu. Specifically, the axis assignments for all of your controllers, looking for duplicates.
    Cheers, Jax

• @lostrealist
    From Flybe:
    Trims.................................................................................................. Set
    Aileron neutral, Rudder-needle width right, Elevator according to CofG
    (within T/O band by at least half a needle’s width).

With the trim rudder 22 units right if you have an engine failure at Vr it's not going to look too good.
    Jax could be right and you probably have somthing wrong in your controls assignment.
    JP

• @jpgmultimodal
    That's interesting, I hadn't second-guessed my settings in a long long time now because they've always worked just fine. Mind you that 15 units doesn't add up to much more than one needle width at least in my cockpit - maybe different simulators calculate those "units" differently? And those 22 units right... on the one day of the month on which we might go NTOP... ;)