Head up display

Hi.
Question about HUD.
The Hud is it only for ils approach or can i use for RNAV as well ?

Comments

• You can always take the HUD if you want and it is configured accordingly. It is of course imperative to use it if the weather conditions require it in order to be able to take off, maneuver or land (CAT IIIa). Personally, I would rather limit the whole thing to these specifically necessary cases, but if you want to stay on the ball (also in real life) you will have to use and practice this even without bad weather.

• But it work with RNAV as well ?
    Must use IMC mode ?
  • A landing under CAT IIIa is of course not intended with RNAV, but is an ILS approach that is normally flown with autopilot. Since that is not possible here, the HUD offers at least the option of flying a CAT IIIa approach manually, as well as a takeoff with HUD, for which the ILS is also required.
    At the moment, I'm not sure whether the HUD can / may at least be used for manual maneuvers with RNAV in VMC mode.

• The HUD can be used for any approach, at my airline pilots are required to use it for all stages of flight. Most guys just leave it in primary for most approaches, but some switch to IMC for an approach with lower visibility or ceilings, and you are required to have it in AIII mode for a CATII or CATIIIa approach

• Ok super thanks