SETTING NAV DME DISPLAY?

When I select a NAV freq in ARCDU should it not automatically display the DME readout on the PFD if it has one and is in range? I can't seem to get it to display. I fiddle with it and select DME HOLD back and forth several times and eventually it sometimes displays but there must be a correct and simply protocol. I have searched YouTube and all your documents and am not coming up with the answer. Please advise!

Craig

Comments

• Hi,
    did you make sure to put the one of your bearing selectors to the appropiate navigation aid? Also, can you confirm the nav frequency in your ARCDU is green, not white? This shows that you receive signals from the frequency.
    Apart from that, some screenshots may be helpful.

• Am I to gather from your response that just selecting the NAV frequency on the ARDCU by itself should be sufficient to display the DME without any further manipulations? That is not working for me.

My PFD is correctly recognizing the VOR and will display the course if I switch the "source" to "NAV but not displaying any DME. I have tried DME hold and switching both active and backup frequency to the same setting and every once in a while I must hit something correctly because I then see DME but certainly not a predictable outcome.

Not sure what you mean by "bearing selector". I set my "source" to FMS1 on the Autopilot panel and also select FMS1 on the ARCDU function panel. I will try to experiment more on my next upcoming flight. But any more clarity from you would be helpful: a step by step perhaps. Again, I am able to successfully set the NAV frequencies without a problem and make them active but they don't seem to automatically cause the DME to appear on my PFD.

Craig

• By bearing selector I'm referring to the rotary knob labeled as number 1 in this picture (https://i.imgur.com/GHFav38.png). If you have one or both of those knobs set to VOR, then the VOR needles along with the DME should be displayed on the PFD.

• Ah! I thought that it had to be set to FMS1 but I now understand that its setting has to do with display whereas the autopilot source setting needs to be at FMS1 to track the flightplan waypoints in FMS. Is this the correct thinking?

BTW thanks for your immediate replies.

Craig

• Yes, exactly. Although you don't necessarly need to set it to FMS1 when trying to follow the FPL for example. The bearing selector controls the two needles on your ND and serve as an extra aid.