Alternate airport

Hi.

What's the procedure for alternate airport?
In case of bad weather.

Comments

• Hi,

Follow the missed approach procedure as described on the chart and tell ATC that you are diverting to airport XXXX. ATC may give you different instructions.

Then follow the route that you have planned for the ALTN. Keep on HDG mode as far as ATC does clear you to the route to the ALTN. Eventually ATC may give you DCT if possible.

When you fly to busy airports and you expect that you may divert due to weather, take extra fuel on top of the legal fuel (fuel calculations are not the same everywhere).

JP

• Thank for that but.I would like more info about FMS new route.
  • Very simple:
    You have the FPL between the DEST Apt and the ALTN Apt stored in your FMS to be ready in case you divert. In fact you can store more routes for alternate airports if you wish.
    You load that FPL when you divert and DTO XXX if you have to follow a specific route.
    If necessary you enter the SID and STAR as well.
    In the RW, the PNF is doing all that.

• After runway of my arrival it's missed approach route.

I must to enter alternate airport and star and runway after missed approach route ?

And i must to insert each time alternate airport in case ?
  • At least for the Majestics, I handle it in such a way that after the last waypoint of the missed approach, which is again the planned destination, I enter the end point of the SID of my planned ALTN route and then the planned routing and the ALTN. In the flight plan itself, after eliminating all unauthorized "NO LINKS" after the missed approach, I still have the authorized "NO LINK", then the planned destination follows and then the routing to the alternate. I cannot yet select a SID and a STAR for the ALTN routing. If I then find myself on the wrong approach, I usually fly it off and start a second attempt if it is not hopeless from the start (weather). In that case I would clarify my decision to divert with ATC myself in the case of a missed approach and then get a DCT to a point of my ALTN routing. A planned SID will probably never be flown (as well as). I then fly to the waypoint given by ATC using DTO and also clear up the flight plan by setting the DTO waypoint as the first point (deletes all previous points). On the further way I can now replace the originally planned airport with the ALTN on the arrival page and then select Rwy, STAR and the approach again as normal.

• After runway of my arrival it's missed approach route.

Yes, but ATC may clear you directly to the first WP of your ALTN route.

I must to enter alternate airport and star and runway after missed approach route ?

The FPL that you have saved would be DEST APTand ALT APT.
    Say you fly CYUL to CYQB Rwy 06. Missed App to IKDEB.
    ALTN Route saved in the FMS: CYQBCYBC.
    In details:
    CYQB FLEUR V98 YRI V316 YBC CYBC
    When you know that you are going to divert, you enter this FPL. As I said before, this aircraft is made to be flown by two pilots and the PNF is going to do all that for you and if necessary enter the SID from CYQB if ATC requests that you fly the full SID, which I doubt.
    When flying to the ALTN you listen to the ATIS and you know the Rwy in use and you enter your ARR (ILS or LNAV/VNAV). Of course you clear all the unnecessary WP. If this ALTN APT has STARs, you enter the STAR that is on your route.

And i must to insert each time alternate airport in case ?

Not a bad idea as it does not take long to do. Like that you are AHEAD of your aircraft, NOT BEHIND.