Yoke stopped working

edited May 2022 in General

I have enjoyed seamless flight in my Q400 for many years. Now I have a problem I simply can't clear.
It started today after a pushback. I started the engines as normal and it began to taxi normally using the yoke for steering as always.
Suddenly the yoke slammed over in the aircraft and refused to steer the aircraft. I have a Pro Flight yoke system and throttle quadrant. I restarted the sim. Same again. I even in the end uninstalled my Q400 and reinstalled it. Exactly the same happened again.
I tried calibrating my yoke and noticed that when turning left to right it goes from zero to full in a single leap. It won't stop half way.
I tried the yoke on default P3D aircraft without a problem.
My guess is something has gone out of sync and not cleared even when reinstalling. No idea what.
I even started on a runway but the yoke doesn't work whatever I do.
Any thoughts?
All suggestions gratefully received. This is one of my favourite aircraft!

Comments

• edited May 2022

A slight update on this I can see now that it is just the elevators and ailerons that won't function from my yoke and throttle system. All the rest (throttle, prop, flaps and rudder pedals) all fine. When I try to calibrate in P3D all are fine except the elevators and aileron axis (x and y). They don't move at all.
    I have reinstalled twice now makes no difference and the yoke works perfectly in every other aircraft.
    Is this a cfg problem? If so how do I fix it?

• Hi @tonyc your issue does sound a bit bizarre.

Not knowing how you have your flight controls configured it may be a bit challenging to attempt to trouble shoot with some additional details from you.

Which version of the Q400 are you using?

Have you used the CPAN to configure your flight controls?

Are you using the mjc84.ini to configure your flight controls?

Are you using FSUIPC or P3D to bind your flight controls?

Are you using the 125MHz setting for your flight controls?

Many variables to a possible problem. Something had to change to cause the issue. It could even by a simple windows update.

Keep us posted.
  • Thank you for the reply MASTER_WARNING_PTR

I will try to answer all your questions.

Which version of the Q400 are you using? - Pro Edition and I have W11

Have you used the CPAN to configure your flight controls? - Yes I have. I only really use the steering option choosing "Ailerons and Mouse". I never found it necessary to change the flight controls sensitivity.

Are you using the mjc84.ini to configure your flight controls? - No I have never opened the mjc84.ini file

Are you using FSUIPC or P3D to bind your flight controls? - P3D. I have FSCUIP but don't use it for controls binding. Looked at it a few times but at my age it is a step too far.

Are you using the 125MHz setting for your flight controls? - No I hadn't! Never even heard of it! But guess what - just used it and it solved the problem immediately. Obviously something in the ini file that it corrected. This tool should be part of any Q400 download! Its the only one that worked!

Thanks so much!

Tony

• The tool is third party addon which we do not support but are glad that it has been able to assist many users in getting up and going.

The implementation of the 125MHz functionality is done via the mjc84.ini, but glad to hear that you are good to go.

Cheers
  • Thank you again but unfortunately the problem seems to come back whenever I use the Q400. The problem always starts when I am using the yoke for tiller steering. It starts off ok then after a short while in the taxi the yoke in the aircraft flicks over to the right and stays there. No response at all. The only fix I have found strangely enough is to unplug my USB on the yoke system then plug it back in again and the problem seems to go away long enough to get airborne and fly with the autopilot. Unfortunately at the other end on landing I get the same unresponsive yoke coming off autopilot. My first thought is that my yoke (many years old now) is at the end of its life but then I fly the PMDG 737NGX using it with no problem. The problem has definitely appeared since running MSFS on my PC albeit on a separate drive.
    It is all very odd. I have flown FS for over 20 years and your Q400 since it first came out on FSX but never seen behaviour like this before.