AP disengages when switching from HDG to NAV mode [CLOSED]

I'm finally learning to fly the Q400 after spending a lot of time in groundschool. Discovering new things all the time which is great. One thing I came across today that has me stumped sofar :
Flying on autopilot in HDG mode to intercept a set VOR inbound. When OBI needle came alive, switched to NAV mode to initiate intercept - and AP promptly disengaged. Searched docs and this forum for reason why, but no luck. Can anyone advise me what I did wrong ? Yes I could simply fly LNAV, but that's not the point :smile:

Comments

• edited December 2023

Disregard my earlier post : I obviously needed a bit more groundschool :p Today completed a NZAA to NZRO via NZHN run, navigating via low altitude VOR tracking, followed by a VOR DME Arc approach and manual landing.
    Didn't want to get into flying FMS routes (and progressing to VATSIM) before at least familiarising with basic navigation (call me old-fashioned if you like).
    More landing practice needed too, but that's for another day - don't want to stretch my luck too far on our wedding anniversary ;)

This discussion has been closed.