Control Panel question

I just installed the pilot version of the Q400. This ain't gonna be easy. I've spent several hours reading documents and looking at tutorials. So now I'm going to try and use the fmc to try a first flight. I've already prepared letters to next of kin for the tragic accident which is about to happen.

I did a flight plan in sim brief and I think I got a balanced load using the control panel. As I understand it I should have fsx running in the background and then open up control panel make my calculations then send to fsx. I saw a note in the manual which said "The MJC8 addon must be loaded into the flight simulator for the data transfer to function. "

I found the control panel app in the MJX plane folder in sim objects in a folder called cpan. I clicked on the app and created a shortcut and now the app is on my taskbar. I got the impression I need to install the app somewhere else in fsx but I don't know where .

Also, when I open fsx should I go to the airport and runway that is in the sim brief plan first before opening control panel ?
Should I create a flight plan in the fmc first or does that matter ?

This plane is going to make me look like an idiot.

Comments

• edited October 2018

You don't have to install anything into FSX. It also doesn't matter when you start the control panel: personally I start the panel, set it up (cargo, pax, fuel), start (in my case) P3D and once I am in the plane on the airport I use the panel to load pax, cargo and fuel into the plane (send data to it). But you might also start FSX, set up the flight and once you are on the ground start the panel, set it up and send the data to the sim. It doesn't matter at all!

Well... it doesn't matter as fas as cargo and fuel is concerned, of course... If you want to for instance change the state of the plane (boarding, cold and dark, etc.) it's best to do so before loading the plane (starting the flight) in FSX. (I'd do that even before starting the sim.) But even that isn't mandatory because you could also reload the plane after a change of state. I myself only use the panel for loading cargo, pax and fuel into the plane: all other tabs/settings (apart from maybe the state) are 'set and forget' and not something you have to look at every single time.

In short: no need to install anything and it doesn't matter when you run it as long as you load the data into the sim while the plane is still on the ground.

And no, it also doesn't matter when you create the flightplan. The control panel simply loads the fuel, pax and cargo into the plane and that has nothing to do with programming the flightplan (just as in real life a pilot never waits with setting up the FMS until all pax are onboard... ;) ).

BTW Something that confuses some users: the control panel does load the pax, cargo and fuel into the plane and NOT into the FMS...! So the Fuel page on the FMS isn't filled in automatically! You always have to fill in that page yourself. That page is used to calculate fuel onboard (at arrival etc.) and there (officially) is no link with the actual load of the plane.

• @JvanE said:
    You don't have to install anything into FSX. It also doesn't matter when you start the control panel: personally I start the panel, set it up (cargo, pax, fuel), start (in my case) P3D and once I am in the plane on the airport I use the panel to load pax, cargo and fuel into the plane (send data to it). But you might also start FSX, set up the flight and once you are on the ground start the panel, set it up and send the data to the sim. It doesn't matter at all!

Well... it doesn't matter as fas as cargo and fuel is concerned, of course... If you want to for instance change the state of the plane (boarding, cold and dark, etc.) it's best to do so before loading the plane (starting the flight) in FSX. (I'd do that even before starting the sim.) But even that isn't mandatory because you could also reload the plane after a change of state. I myself only use the panel for loading cargo, pax and fuel into the plane: all other tabs/settings (apart from maybe the state) are 'set and forget' and not something you have to look at every single time.

In short: no need to install anything and it doesn't matter when you run it as long as you load the data into the sim while the plane is still on the ground.

And no, it also doesn't matter when you create the flightplan. The control panel simply loads the fuel, pax and cargo into the plane and that has nothing to do with programming the flightplan (just as in real life a pilot never waits with setting up the FMS until all pax are onboard... ;) ).

BTW Something that confuses some users: the control panel loads the pax, cargo and fuel into the plane but NOT into the FMS...! So the Fuel page on the FMS isn't filled in automatically! You always have to fill in that page yourself. That page is used to calculate fuel onboard (at arrival etc.) and there (officially) is no link with the actual load of the plane.

• using simbrief is only telling you the quantity pax, cargo and fuel you need for the flight. But balance the AC with the given pax and cargo you need control panel. And after that set all quantity in the fuel page. Or as i do put just the fuel and ZFW in .

• @hhatch said:
    I saw a note in the manual which said "The MJC8 addon must be loaded into the flight simulator for the data transfer to function. "

I found the control panel app in the MJX plane folder in sim objects in a folder called cpan... I got the impression I need to install the app somewhere else in fsx.

What they mean is you must have the Q400 loaded in the simulator on the ground, before you can use the "send data to flightsim" button. As JvanE said, this physically loads the weights in to the aircraft but you still need to input the FMS data yourself.

should I go to the airport and runway that is in the sim brief plan first before opening control panel ?
    Should I create a flight plan in the fmc first or does that matter ?

Doesn't make any difference to the CPAN or aircraft. Not sure why you'd load up at a different airport from your intended departure though? I send data to the aircraft before doing any cockpit preparation, because you're suppose to check you have sufficient fuel during checklists before start.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, over 950+ J41 & Q400 flights and 200+ for A320