Approach not showing in MFD

I've had this problem from time to time but cannot figure it out. I was on a flight and tuned ATIS to see what runway was in use. So I input the arrival data into the FMS and all looked fine except that no approach or runway path showed in the MFD. The data in the FMS appeared ok. I'm pretty sure this is some kind of user error, but I cannot pinpoint it since it is sporadic.

One thing I recall was that I made a mistake on my initial flight plan and decided to start the flight over. I'm wondering if this may have affected some settings. I usually load the Cessna 172 before loading the Q400 to avoid settings issues.

I tried to be careful about my procedures as I am a new user using the pilot edition. Can anyone suggest some things I should take a look at to solve this problem ?

Comments

• You could try to do a DTO (direct to) to the first way of the approach. Do this when you are at the last way point that the FMS does show. This should make the approach appear on the FMS.
  • I will try that next time this happens. Thanks for response.

• @JvanE said:
    You could try to do a DTO (direct to) to the first way of the approach. Do this when you are at the last way point that the FMS does show. This should make the approach appear on the FMS.

The problem popped up again and I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks for saving me some aggravation. I still wonder if this is some sort of bug or I am doing something to cause it.

• @hhatch said:

The problem popped up again and I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks for saving me some aggravation. I still wonder if this is some sort of bug or I am doing something to cause it.

I also have this from time to time and it certainly isn't an error on my side because I follow the exact procedures. Sometimes the flightplan line stops at the next waypoint and the approach can't be seen on the MFD and sometimes you can see the entire route. Whenever this happens I also still do as I said: select a DTO. This always solves it.

I did change my solution a bit though: while heading towards the next waypoint (in this case often the last one that's shown on the map) I switch to HDG mode temporarily, select a DTO to any waypoint that isn't shown on the map (after which the entire path suddenly shows up!) and then do a DTO back again to the waypoint I was flying towards. This way I can continue the route as I want and still get the entire path on my screen.

I also don't know what's the cause of all this.