How to improve throttle control

I've been enjoying my Q400 and I no longer feel quite as lost as I did initially. One of the issues I have is the sensitive throttle not only with this plane but others such as the Beechcraft B200 which I also fly. I've been thinking that buying a throttle quadrant might help give me finer throttle control. I use a Thrustmaster T 16000 m stick which I find to be very smooth except it has a cheesy throttle.

Funds are limited and my spending limit is about $100. I am open to a quadrant or maybe a new flight stick. I looked at some Saitek products and they might fill the bill.

I would be interested in any suggestions people might have.

Comments

• I have been using the Logitech Throttle quadrant for well over a year, Works perfectly, gives you extra switches and I use it to move Power levers too.

• I've looked at that and it looks like a viable option. Thrustmaster has just come out with a new throttle controller which combined with a stick creates a Hotas. It can also be used with their rudder pedals. A hotas is probably less useful for civilian sims but I also have Elite Dangerous and DCS. The reviews have been very positive and this looks like a nice mid range alternative to the much more expensive Thrustmaster Warthog. My orientation is more toward civilian sims however, so I will probably have to decide between the two options.

• edited November 2018

I used to fly the F16 a lot (Falcon4) and set myself up with a HOTAS system made up of 'CH Products' products. These days I only fly civilian sims. I can confirm that a HOTAS system does work perfectly well for the civilian sims. The throttle in such a system merely moves all of the throttle levers in the respective aircraft at the same time. It doesn't control/move the mixture or prop levers ... but that's no biggie ... you simply do that using keyboard commands.

For example, in a 747, all four throttle levers are moved simultaneously when the HOTAS throttle is moved. Similarly, in a Beechcraft B200, both power levers are moved simultaneously when the HOTAS throttle is moved; but the prop levers are not moved.

To be honest, I don't mind this at all. If anything you get smoother and better symmetrical control over the thrust provided by each engine in your aircraft as each of the throttle/power levers move perfectly in sync with one another. And, by using keyboard commands to control the other levers, you have good, clean, stable control of those. In short, I've never experienced engine control issues at all, in the civilian sims, with any aircraft type (from Cessna to 747), with the HOTAS system.

That said, where it does present an issue is when you have an aircraft which simulates failures and you find yourself in a situation that requires you to power down one engine but not the other(s). A HOTAS system can pose problems in this regard. But, even so, it is still possible to handle this scenario … you just need to be careful and methodical about it … which is just like you would if you were actually in this situation in real life.

Whilst I am not making a recommendation or purchasing suggestion in this post, my intention is to convey how a HOTAS system works in a civilian sim (at least, how it works for me) which, in turn, will hopefully help you to make a more informed decision about which way to go.

• Since I'm not interested in simulating failures ( I do that quite well anyway) that makes the hotas more viable. I like the idea of more buttons too.

• edited November 2018

I'm on my 2nd CH THQ in 16 years. They are bulletproof. Mine works well for the Q400. Affordable. Functional. I mounted mine to the left of my yoke. Not realistic, but I can wrap my left hand around both throttle levers and rest my wrist there comfortably. Very "handy". 6 toggle buttons for 12 functions; gear, park brake, flaps, whatever.

• I use the respective T16000 throttles as well and find it rather easy to control. When on final approach you really waynt to make the smallest power changes possible, since the TRQ on the Q400 directly controls your lift/sinkrate (much like on a small GA aircraft) and also induces quite a bit of torque effect, affecting your yaw vector.