Managing speed in cruise?

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this aircraft and need some help/opinions on cruise speed. I feel like too much throttle and I'm constantly gaining, and too little and I'm always slowing down. What's the best way to manage the throttles in cruise? I understand this is a very hands on aircraft but I'd rather not watch my speed the entire flight. Thanks in advance. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm new here :)

Comments

• Hi,

a autothrottle does not exist, so you have to control the whole thing manually and adjust.
    In cruising speed is accelerated to the desired speed and then just pulled back the power lever until the planned speed (e.g., Vmo -10 Kts) is maintained. The resulting effects of high winds, etc. you have to compensate then just again. The Dash wants to be flown!

• Fly the prescribed power settings. There is no need to row the power levers as if you were in a boat...

• If you use a flight planning software that gives you a planned TAS and a fuel flow, when you get to cruise and have the condition levers set to 850, bring the power back to where the planned fuel flow is and it should give you roughly the planned TAS (eg. if the planned TAS is 310ktas and the FF is 2000lb/h, bring the power back so both engines are burning roughly 1000lb/h and it should give you roughly 310ktas)

• Go there to have all the settings:
    http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/downloads.html
    Last item
    JP

• Or, alternatively, get FS2Crew as I have done and the PM sets the Cruise Power. Only time my input as the PF is required is when I reach TOD and then, do have to throttle back as I am now in descent mode. Then, its a question of picking a 'sweet spot' to maintain the IAS till about to land.