Engine Behavior in Severe Icing Conditions
I was doing some testing today and observed something I was very happy to see (as a virtual pilot who loves cold weather operations for some reason...).
- Ground Operation
- Severe Weather (Sub zero temps, dense snow fall)
- No deicing operations
- Neither engine would start; I could get roughly 30 RPM on the props but the engines would not light off. This was with the engine intakes in the closed position.
- After opening the intakes, both engines started fine
- I closed the intakes, and ran the engines for about 15-20 minutes while multitasking. Came back to the sim and they were dead .
- I opened the intakes, restarted both engines, closed one intake and that engine died in about 5-10 minutes.
From what I read in another thread, I'm assuming what happened is the intake clogged with snow and the engine died due to insufficient intake air. Is this correct?