CTD when I load a saved flight

edited January 2019 in Customer support

Hello,
I have CTD when I load a saved flight. In the folder "Prepar3D V4 Files" I have always 4 files : xxxx.FLT, xxxx.mj1, xxxx.mj2, xxxx.fxml, xxxx.wx
For other flights with another plane like PMDG, I have just 2 files .fxml and .wx
And unfortunately, I had a CTD during a flight. I have not weather addon like Active Sky.
Q400 64 bits Prepar3D V 4.4

Comments

• Hello,

1. Are these by chance older files that were used with the previous versions of P3D v3? If so delete all files with the *.mj1 and *.mj2 extensions. One can now attempt to save a new scenario and see if the result is the same.

2. If this is not the case, then uninstall the Q400, and reinstall by right clicking on the installer and run as Administrator.

You are also correct regarding the 4 files created when saving a scenario, this just happens to be the format which we have in place to ensure that all of the saved data is acquired and saved,

Cheers

• Hello,
    Many thanks for the reply. I have not older files. I don't have previous version of P3D v3. Just an installation of P3D V4.4 on a new PC.
    So I understand now why I have 4 files.
    I have deleted all my files. And I will try again.
    Best regards.

• Hi,
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled. and all works fine now.
    Many thanks.

• Good to hear ....keep us posted if this occurs again

Cheers

• Hi @kroswynd - Happy New Year, I hope you're well.

I have recently updated to Prepared V 4.4 as was experiencing the crash to desktop when loading saved flights.

I read this thread and followed your instructions to reinstall the aircraft.

I did this and it worked ok for 2 days. I have not updated anything else including Windows. I am using Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Today on attempting to load saved flights that were previously working I get the crash to desktop with faulting module ntdll.dll or mscoreei.dll

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• @kroswynd - I just thought I'd try loading the aircraft on a new scenario and then once it completes load from a saved scenario.

This works.

Perhaps this will help you to track down the problem.

Cheers.

• "I did this and it worked ok for 2 days" : The same for me. I had still a CDT with a saved flight. @dibloc So I will try to load the aircraft on a new scenario then a saved flight.

• @Clo08 said:
    "I did this and it worked ok for 2 days" : The same for me. I had still a CDT with a saved flight. @dibloc So I will try to load the aircraft on a new scenario then a saved flight.

OK that's good then at least because it suggests the problem is not specific with my installation or configuration and should help @kroswynd and the team to debug.

• @dibloc & @Clo08
    While we have not changed anything in regard to the Q400 for P3Dv4.4, it would be advisable to delete all previously saved situation/scenario files that were saved with v4.3 or prior, and start with newly created saved scenarios.

In some cases, that I have noticed using a saved scenario may require that it be loaded a second time after the initial load as some of the parameters sometimes do not seem to load. This has been somewhat of a challenge on our side as we have not completely identified what the actual cause of the issue.

I know that this may be an inconvenience, and we apologize (if you choose not to delete the said files - be sure to remove them from the folder in which they reside).

Keep us posted

• edited January 2019

Hello,
    I have not saved flight with a prior version of P3D V4.4. So I tried this : I load the aircraft . Then I choose "new scenario" and load a previously saved flight and it works. But I have to do this many times, to be sure it's not a chance.

• it's seems to be a good idea @dibloc . It works fine ! I load the Q400 and then choose a new scenerio and reload a saved scenario : no CTD

• So just to get a proper understanding.... If you attempt to fly the aircraft without saving a situation you get a ctd?
  • When I attempt to fly the aircraft without saving a scenario I don't get ctd.
  • @kroswynd said:
    So just to get a proper understanding.... If you attempt to fly the aircraft without saving a situation you get a ctd?

No.

If you try to load a saved scenario without loading a new scenario first and then loading from a save the crash to desktop occurs.

• @kroswynd said:
    @dibloc & @Clo08
    While we have not changed anything in regard to the Q400 for P3Dv4.4, it would be advisable to delete all previously saved situation/scenario files that were saved with v4.3 or prior, and start with newly created saved scenarios.

In some cases, that I have noticed using a saved scenario may require that it be loaded a second time after the initial load as some of the parameters sometimes do not seem to load. This has been somewhat of a challenge on our side as we have not completely identified what the actual cause of the issue.

I know that this may be an inconvenience, and we apologize (if you choose not to delete the said files - be sure to remove them from the folder in which they reside).

Keep us posted

Hi @kroswynd,

The crash to desktop also occurs with scenarios that have been saved after upgrade to v4.4 and reinstallation of the Q400.

Cheers.

• So, I have been doing some testing regarding this and have also noticed that I am getting a CTD for some scenarios. Adding this to the bug list for further investigation

Thanks for your assistance, gentlemen - much appreciated.

• @kroswynd said:
    Adding this to the bug list for further investigation

Brilliant, thank you.

Anytime, thanks for a fantastic product that makes studying for my cyclics much less stressful. Cheers!

• Thanks also for this superb aircraft. yes : a fantastic product.

• @kroswynd said:
    So, I have been doing some testing regarding this and have also noticed that I am getting a CTD for some scenarios. Adding this to the bug list for further investigation

Thanks for your assistance, gentlemen - much appreciated.

This is still a bug with the 1.20b version of the PRO aircraft. The workaround advised in this thread does however circumvent the issue, although of course not a more rigorous solution.