Landing difficulties

for the past 2 weeks I tried to land this aircraft without any success I studied the manual watch any youtube that could give me a hint how to land the Q400. So far everything goes well The descent no problem . The approach set no problem.
Engage the approach after the LOC and pick up the glide slope without problem
At about 400ft before touch down and when the auto pilot shut down the plane start swigging from right to left and completely out of control . I tried more power but to no avail.
What causes this sorts of behaviour
Any help would be appreciated
Charles

Comments

• Was it better before, or have you only had the Dash for 2 weeks? Do you use a weather program and what was the weather / wind like? If that's it, you could play a bit with the Turbolence Factor, at least in the FSX.

• Check your airspeed, sounds like you are getting into a stall condition. In most airplanes it can take a few seconds for the engines to respond to an increase in power. As FraPre says, check the weather. cross winds and possible ice build-up, can cause some unexpected behaviour.

• Thank you both for your reply. :)
    I am still new at this aircraft and I do not load any real weather or wind factor until I master this aircraft. I think Jax-in-BC is right when he says that I getting in a stall condition. However I am a bit confused about what airspeed should be maintained on touch down . I read an article from the MJCQ400 resources/tutorial, which were written by an experienced pilot and I quote

"– I do not fly airspeed or glideslope down finals (but don’t tell anyone). In fact, on final approach, the airspeed indicator is only a secondary part of my scan. Now, before you have me arrested for my crimes against aviation, allow me to explain myself.
    The fact is, no one has ever flown airspeed down finals, they just think they have " End of quote

So if this is the case the approach and landing speed cards are a mere guidance rather that the norms May I ask this forum what airspeed should I consider , say I have a 53 000 lbs payload on landing
    Regards
    Charles

• Charles

I take it that your 53,000 lb is zero fuel mass (ZFM).
    Are you loading the weight & fuel using the Majestic Control Panel?

Without checking the cards, if you land around 120 or a whisker more, with fuel about half or less, you shouldn't have any problems. Those figures aren't calculated, just rough, but you shouldn't stall and as you get better you can fine tune the numbers.

The other thing to remember is to keep the power on until the main wheels touch the runway.

Happy landings
    Dasher

• edited August 2019

Charles

While you are getting the "hang" of landing the 400, you could reduce the fuel & weight substantially. In my opinion, when landing light, the aircraft handles a bit better than when landing heavy. Play with flaps at full (35) and 15 to see how you go. Initially I had better results with flaps at 15. Don't forget to watch the maximum flap & gear speeds.

Dasher

• @Dasher said:
    Charles

I take it that your 53,000 lb is zero fuel mass (ZFM).
    Are you loading the weight & fuel using the Majestic Control Panel?

Without checking the cards, if you land around 120 or a whisker more, with fuel about half or less, you shouldn't have any problems. Those figures aren't calculated, just rough, but you shouldn't stall and as you get better you can fine tune the numbers.

The other thing to remember is to keep the power on until the main wheels touch the runway.

Happy landings
    Dasher

Thanks Dasher for your reply,
    I been doing several Touch and Go all afternoon and found that 120 to 130 kts was about right. Since I been free flying without AP and FMC , found the control of the aircraft is very hard on the joystick. Meaning I have to push hard on the stick to get the aircraft in control. It has a tendency to go to left and up. This despite the trimming on the spoilers , attitude , and rudder, Has anyone also experience those difficulties?
    All I can do is keep on trying and more bedtime studying.
    Cheers
    Charles

• Hi,

Have you correctly setup your controls (ailerons, rudder, etc.)?
    Do you have conflicting assignments (simulator, FSUIPC, Q400)?

Rgds
    Reinhard

• All is now under control. I have worked out what I was doing wrong Thanks everyone for your help

• Hi Yamba,
    Congratulations, but I for one would be very interested what your solution was in the end...
    Thank you for sharing.

• After reading this thread this might be of interest.