GPU on engine shutdown

Cannot call GPU after shutting down left engine

Comments

• Right CL in START & FEATHER?

• When you say you can not call for GPU, are you saying it's not a selectable item in the FMS.

You mention the left engine being shut down, but is the right engine still at 850/900/1060 RPM? If the are the GPU will not be available. Engines have to be in in feathered mode/Condition levers need to be in the Start /Feather position.
  • @kroswynd said:
    When you say you can not call for GPU, are you saying it's not a selectable item in the FMS.

You mention the left engine being shut down, but is the right engine still at 850/900/1060 RPM? If the are the GPU will not be available. Engines have to be in in feathered mode/Condition levers need to be in the Start /Feather position.

In the old version the GPU can be connected in almost any state of the engines. The left engine in feather or shut down the GPU shows. In the visual update version the left engine is completely shut down, the GPU button in the FMS flashes pressing connect and never shows. I tried at a friends sim in the old version and the GPU connects when one engine is shut off.

• Well, at least that's not the case with me. With the engines running, the GPU can only be requested in the Start & Feather position. Conversely, the GPU is automatically removed if I put the CL or a CL in position 850 or higher after starting the engine. Just give it a try, after turning off engine 1, leave the CL of engine 2 in Start & Feather. Can I request the GPU now?

• > @p3dx3 said:
    > @kroswynd said:
    > When you say you can not call for GPU, are you saying it's not a selectable item in the FMS.
    >
    > You mention the left engine being shut down, but is the right engine still at 850/900/1060 RPM? If the are the GPU will not be available. Engines have to be in in feathered mode/Condition levers need to be in the Start /Feather position.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In the old version the GPU can be connected in almost any state of the engines. The left engine in feather or shut down the GPU shows. In the visual update version the left engine is completely shut down, the GPU button in the FMS flashes pressing connect and never shows. I tried at a friends sim in the old version and the GPU connects when one engine is shut off.

Are you disputing how the logic of how the addon is supposed to work?

If any engine's CL is out of the start/Feather position (i.e. MIN/MAX positions) the GPU will be disconnected as the respective generator is now able to provide adequate power to the aircraft without the aid of the GPU. You did not make mention of the state of the other engine, is it running or also shut down?
  • edited August 2021

I was going on the operation of this addon in the previous version. I could shut down one engine and connect the gpu with the other engine running. If the new logic requires both engines to be shutoff or in feather by design okay.

• We have not changed the logic from a system perspective regarding the aircraft.

The visual update is merely that, visual.

I will have a look at your reports on Monday to verify that everything is as it should be
  • The attached video is a quick demonstration of the GPU operation which has been in place from the inception of this add-on

Cheers

• On shutdown only 1 engine had to be feathered to ask for the GPU in the FMS. With the visual update now both do. I tried on a friend's Q400 who does not have the update yet and it did not do that. 1 Engine could be feathered and the GPU would attach.

• @p3dx3 said:
    On shutdown only 1 engine had to be feathered to ask for the GPU in the FMS. With the visual update now both do. I tried on a friend's Q400 who does not have the update yet and it did not do that. 1 Engine could be feathered and the GPU would attach.

To shed a little light on some real world operation, when I flew the classic Dash 8s, ramp crews would not approach the aircraft without the propellers feathered. It makes sense as a unfeathered propeller spinning at 785 RPM with a flat pitch propeller was much more deadly than a feathered propeller spinning at 180 RPM…

Typically upon parking, we would shut off all AC equipment (standby hyd pumps, aux fuel pumps, anti-ice equipment, etc.) then feather the propellers and wait for a GPU to be connected. We had a mandatory cool down of 30 seconds in Start&Feather before an engine could be shut down. Unless we had rock star ramp personnel, we would typically have #1 shut down and then waited an additional 1-2 minutes with #2 in start&feather before a GPU was connected.

Also, in my 5 years flying the plane I never once saw AC external power connected - no need for it in standard ops. MX typically only used it in the hangar to run hydraulics or check other AC equipment.