No RF (radius-to-fix) leg capability on RNP approaches

Hello,

I use the Training edition of the aircraft in P3D V5.4, with the most recent update, and I was flying the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 30 into CYEG today, and noticed the plane couldn't/didn't program the RF legs present in this approach, tried it with the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 35L into CYYC as well, also ran into the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi chacebaylee4,
    Could you post the route you were flying for both Edmonton and Calgary. I will give them a try and see if I get a similar result.

Cheers, Jax.

• @Jax_in_BC said:
    Hi chacebaylee4,
    Could you post the route you were flying for both Edmonton and Calgary. I will give them a try and see if I get a similar result.

Cheers, Jax.

Hey,

Actually, I took off from rwy 02, and was vectored onto the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 30 via LETIX into CYEG. Then in Calgary I took off from rwy 35L and was vectored onto the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 35L via SELEV into CYYC.

• OK. I flew that approach this morning from CYEG, and the Q400 followed the turn perfectly. One thing I noticed, the SELEV transition as a restriction "at 8000 and below 210 kts". With you taking off from Calgary and being vectored to SELEV may not matter as long as you meet the altitude and speed constraints. But, if you are too low to meet the altitude constraints, it would invalidate the procedure. I'm not sure if that matters to the Majestic Q400 or not. In the real world it's a different story. Anyways, giv'er a try, and see what happens.
    Jax

• Here's me just now, trying to RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 30 into CYEG via OMENA. Interestingly, it actually programmed the RF Leg from SEDEN to LIDIR, but after LIDIR went direct to SEKOB, and didn't fly the RF Leg. I'm starting to think it may have something to do with where the FMS puts the "RNV Y 30" waypoint in the FPL, deleting the RF Leg from SEDEN to LIDIR. Again, I'm using the most updated version of the Training edition, P3D v5.4.

• Just now I tried the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 35L into CYYC via SELEV, and the RF legs did the same thing. I do believe it has to do with where the FMS puts the "RNV Y 35L" waypoint in the FPL, as it deletes any RF leg after that spot in the FPL.

• I have re-flown a flight from CYEG to CYYC and noticed the same behavior between MIDVI and ERDAL. On my first flight, mentioned earlier, I didn't notice the change in the way the Q400 was flying the arc, most likely because of an ACA 789 landing on the parallel runway, and a Westjet 738 approaching rwy29. I do agree that something is changing/removing the 2nd arc from the flight plan.

• @chaycebaylee4 said:

Just now I tried the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 35L into CYYC via SELEV, and the RF legs did the same thing. I do believe it has to do with where the FMS puts the "RNV Y 35L" waypoint in the FPL, as it deletes any RF leg after that spot in the FPL.

Since ERDAL is FAF/FAP of this procedure, seems MJC put a final approach intercept segment to this leg, which will make a straight line.
    To solve it, simply delete that intercept leg ("RNV Y 35L" in this case), and the curve will back again.
    Of course, with this action, your approach will not activate automatically, but you can always press "ACT APPR" miles before reaching FAF.

• @GAT01 said:

@chaycebaylee4 said:

Just now I tried the RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 35L into CYYC via SELEV, and the RF legs did the same thing. I do believe it has to do with where the FMS puts the "RNV Y 35L" waypoint in the FPL, as it deletes any RF leg after that spot in the FPL.

Since ERDAL is FAF/FAP of this procedure, seems MJC put a final approach intercept segment to this leg, which will make a straight line.
    To solve it, simply delete that intercept leg ("RNV Y 35L" in this case), and the curve will back again.
    Of course, with this action, your approach will not activate automatically, but you can always press "ACT APPR" miles before reaching FAF.

Unfortunately, your solution didn't work out for me. It didn't re-introduce the RF Leg from MIDVI to ERDAL by simply deleting that intercept leg "RNV Y 35L".

• edited June 2023

@chaycebaylee4
    I checked raw data, both procedure you used was break apart as Transition and Final Segment.
    They overlap at exact the same point where the RF curve ends.
    And MJC use the leg in latter sequence (which is the IF-XXXXX), and this leg does not contain RF info.
    If procedure was continuous, this issue will work with the solution I said. (Tested on RJCM R18-Y)
    This issue might need MJC to re-work on the leg building logic.

@kroswynd
    On 01-Dec-2022, I was on email with Oleksiy via support mailbox, reported similar issue.
    Maybe the leg building logic should have a look again.

• We appreciate and thank everyone for helping to provide feedback on this RF issue.

It has been identified through some additional testing apart from your input that there is an issue with some rnp approaches where the arc direcly goes into FaF (FaP), the issue is under review, but there is not time line for an immediate fix at the moment.

If you have any additional input note it here or drop us a line via our Support email.

Cheers,
  • edited June 2023

Every RNP worked perfectly fine for me pre-patch, so it must have something to do with how faf identification/anything that was changed about rnav rnp approaches in this newest update. I noticed the names of the approach labels have changed from 1.025a to 1.024, maybe that change could have triggered the approach label to not allow an RF leg after it.