Majestic Q400 Pilot Edition - P3Dv4 ground characteristics/bouncing

Hi guys,

I recently picked up the Majestic Q400 and I've really been enjoying it. I've flown about three flights but have noticed that the airplane tends to bounce at a set interval while on the ground. While this is okay when on stationary, it's a but annoying during taxi as the bounces 'reset' the taxi, i.e. halt the airplane's motion instantaneously. I've read through a few threads that deal with a similar problem, but I've tried some of the workarounds such as selecting the airport, setting the time and then selecting the specific gate to load in to, but the problem still seems to be persisting. In addition, my Mesh resolution is set to below 5m (currently at 1m). I don't face this issue with any other airplanes. Is there an updated workaround I could try?

I'm using P3Dv4 HF3 and the Q400 Pilot Edition v1.021.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi,

Are you using the Immersion Manager for the Q400?
    majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/comment/3846#Comment_3846

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Hi,

No, not even sure what that is. If it's related to the Q400 immersion by //42, I don't have that installed. This is a default installation of the Q400 except with immersive audio sounds (not sure if that could have a role to play).

• edited May 2021

Update: Tried to adjust some settings in the control panel (i.e. change timing source, FDE to FSX sync disable) but no change so far; the bounces are still happening. Could this be related to mesh resolution?

Edit: Uninstalled an item named "Immersive Installer" by //42 - will report back on any changes.

• Good afternoon,

The issue that you are referencing has been known to be caused sometimes by using a high mesh resolution setting . I normally use 2 or 5 without issue. But again mileage can differ since everyone's rigs are configured differently.

The Q400 issue where the aircraft tyres appear to be sunken into the ground seems to be caused by the "Immersion Manager". I have not experienced this as I do not use the manager, but several users have reported the issue to the development team over at Parallel 42.

• edited May 2021

Hi!

I'll try to dial back my mesh res to 5m and see if that results in any changes - also, I don't have any issues with tires sinking into the ground, it's just the random bounces/resets.

• edited May 2021

Update: Mesh resolution doesn't seem to have fixed the issue unfortunately. I recorded a video this time (issue occurs around the 1:40 minute mark):

I am currently experimenting with a possible cause and I think I might have tracked it down. FSUIPC uses a default feature where it autosaves the flight under the name 'Previous Flight', even if you have FSUIPC autosave disabled. Since the bounces/resets were happening at set intervals, I inferred that something else that happens at a set interval might be the cause of the problem. I manually edited the FSUIPC5.ini file and it seems to have fixed the problem as I've been sitting on the ground at PDX for about 5 minutes now and this bouncing hasn't occured (except for when loading the airplane which I assume is normal).

For anyone who might be facing the same problem in the future, my workaround was to go into FSUIPC5.ini, and add the line "SavePreviousFlight=No" under the "GENERAL" section. Of course, this also means that you'll be losing an autosave if your sim crashes. Imo it's not a big deal since most Q400 flights are about an hour anyway!

@kroswynd let me know what you think of this.

• Ok yes, FSUIPC's AUTOSAVE feature does not play well with the Q400 based on how the aircraft is modeled. Checking for its usage was not recommended as your initial post spoke of a bouncing tendency while on the ground, whereas most complaints about AUTOSAVE are more prone to a stuttering/pause when AUTOSAVE is saving the data points in the event of a crash.

The bouncing issues are more prone to mesh resolution settings. This should be the sweet-spot for your issue, but continue testing to ensure that the issue is resoled.

Cheers

• Update: I can confirm the issue is related to autosave. Flew a full flight with autosave off, never encountered this problem. Fixed!

• Thanks for the update. Disabling AUTOSAVE for stuttering of the Q400 is normally a good fix.