Dash 8 only showing full flightplan on first officer's ND, not captain's ND

edited September 2021 in Customer support

Not every time, but quite often, my captain's side navigation display only shows the destination rather than the full flight plan. However, when I X-feed to the first officer's CDU, the full flightplan is displayed on the FO's ND, and you can see the next waypoint displayed.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Is there a button I am missing sometimes, or does it sound like a software glitch?

Hopefully the image included is clear enough to see what I mean.

Comments

• If you look at the captains FMS, it looks like you have only 2 waypoints in there, the starting waypoint and the ending waypoint, which appears to just be the two airports (I’m assuming, I’m on mobile and the image isn’t high enough resolution to read).

Try selecting LSK L2, or the “from” line on the FMS and selecting the first waypoint after your departure airport and seeing if that fixes things.
  • I'll try that the next time I run into the issue, but the flight plan was entered in the Captain's FMS, then X Filled to First Officer's FMS. The flight plan is then displaying propely in the First Officer's navigation display, but not the Captains. If I need to amend the flight plan on the Captain's side, why did it X Fill and display correctly on the First Officer's side?

• Looking at the image posted it is somewhat difficult to determine much of anything. What I can suggest for a detailed break down of FMS usability Youtuber FLTSIM481 has exhibited a good demonstration of the UNS 1. I could attempt to explain what may be happening from your image but due to not being able to enlarge the image for better clarity I could easily misinform you.

Assuming that you have built the flight plan in the captains FMS, you would then have to go to the first officer's FMS and XFILL (pulling it from the captain's FMS). If you are clicking on the FMS's for the pop-outs make sure you are a clicking on the correct one that you intend to programme/make changes to.

Cheers

• OK. Thanks. If/ when I run into the issue again I will take more, and clearer images.

• edited November 2021

I would like to try and have another go at getting an answer to this problem. Once again I entered the flight plan in the Captain's CDU and all I see in the ND is the destination airport. Upon X Filling it to the First Officer's CDU, I then see the first waypoint as it should be in the First Officer's ND.

The flight plan I had entered is starting at an airport that has no SIDs. I am wondering if the issue is something to do with that. Is there anything I need to do when inputing the departure if there are no SIDs at an airport? When I click to go back into the departure page again on the CDU it looks like no runway has been selected even though I did select a runway. That being said, I don't know why the waypoints would still properly display on the FO's ND.

I have attached a screen shot of the Captain's ND showing the destination on the ND, and a screenshot of the FO's ND showing the first waypoint. If anything else is needed to get an answer please let me know and I will try to recreate the same scenario again and post a screenshot.

Thanks

• Hi,

With these two screenshots alone it's not possible to reproduce and analyze the problem. So please provide:

• The route you are entering
    • A screenshot of all FPL pages of the CPT CDU and the FO CDU after x-filling it on the FO side
    • A screenshot of the NAV page of the CPT CDU and the FO CDU
    • A screenshot of the ND of the CPT and FO side

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Having noticed I was getting this issue departing airports with no SIDs, but not having the issue if there was a SID I could use, I have thought long, and tried everything to work out what the problem is.

It would seem that although the flight plan displays as intended in the First Officer's CDU and ND after x filling from the Captain's CDU, the Captains ND only has the destination showing.

I have worked out that if I select the first waypoint in the DTO page of the Captain's CDU, then the Captains CDU and ND work as expected and display the waypoints of the flight plan.

It would be interesting to find out if this is normal when there is no SID, and this is what you are supposed to do, but it certainly seems to be the case with me. I also uninstalled the aircraft, and reinstalled it and the same thing was happening.

• Hi,

Could you provide a route with such an airport without SID, where this happens for you?

Rgds
    Reinhard

• edited November 2021

@CalumWE said:
    I have worked out that if I select the first waypoint in the DTO page of the Captain's CDU, then the Captains CDU and ND work as expected and display the waypoints of the flight plan.

I have just read this thread. And, as soon as I read it, I knew exactly what you were talking about and I knew how to correct it. I was about to suggest that you can resolve this issue by going to the DTO page of the Captain's CDU and selecting the first waypoint as the DTO. But as I continued reading and eventually got to the bottom of the thread, I see you have since found that out for yourself. :smile:

As to why this happens, I am not sure. It has happened for me before, but not as often as it seems to be occurring for you. For me, it is only on very rare occassions. And I have always managed to correct it using the DTO page.

Is it a bug? I have no idea. Others have not reported it here, and I can find no mention of anything like this in any manuals or UNS 1. 1 documentation. For the record, I often enter flight plans that have no SID, and things work fine on both the Captain's and First Officer's displays. I reiterate, this issue only happens for me very rarely.

• @freddy said:

@CalumWE said:

I have just read this thread. And, as soon as I read it, I knew exactly what you were talking about and I knew how to correct it. I was about to suggest that you can resolve this issue by going to the DTO page of the Captain's CDU and selecting the first waypoint as the DTO. But as I continued reading and eventually got to the bottom of the thread, I see you have since found that out for yourself. :smile:

As to why this happens, I am not sure. It has happened for me before, but not as often as it seems to be occurring for you. For me, it is only on very rare occassions. And I have always managed to correct it using the DTO page.

Is it a bug? I have no idea. Others have not reported it here, and I can find no mention of anything like this in any manuals or UNS 1. 1 documentation. For the record, I often enter flight plans that have no SID, and things work fine on both the Captain's and First Officer's displays. I reiterate, this issue only happens for me very rarely.

:)

• All the flights I've done with the Dash 8 so far have been in the UK, so maybe the issue is quite common if there is no SID in the UK. I can't say for sure if is always happening when there is no SID but certainly most of the time at least.

I am currently flying the route below, and again I had to enter the first waypoint in the DTO page to fix the problem.

EGPB/27 DCT LESNI UP600 ADN EGPN/I09

• The function you speak of is not uncommon for the version of the FMS modeled. I am not sure of UNS has made changes to have the route displayed after initial input. It has always been the procedure to DTO the first way point, or I have seem some pilot use the 2nd WP depending on the route entered.

• Hi,

I just tried to enter your route and I got the correct route on both nav displays. But I will try several times to check, if this happens also to me. But at the moment everything looks fine. I assume, you have selected the runways as shown in the flightplan during entering via FPL page.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• @aua668 said:
    Hi,

I just tried to enter your route and I got the correct route on both nav displays. But I will try several times to check, if this happens also to me. But at the moment everything looks fine. I assume, you have selected the runways as shown in the flightplan during entering via FPL page.

Rgds
    Reinhard

As far as I can tell, I am entering the runways.

Thanks