ILS precision

I find the ILS precision to be very undesirable close to the field. I am often way off track, outside of the runway boundaries. Also, the glideslope is erratic too. This is very pronounced using a joystick but still occurred when using only keyboard bindings for throttle(for more precision). RNAV approaches work as expected.

Comments

• Could you provide some examples or the approaches in question, or is this regarding ALL ILS approaches that you have conducted?

• @SABAV8R said:
    I find the ILS precision to be very undesirable close to the field. I am often way off track, outside of the runway boundaries. Also, the glideslope is erratic too.

Hi,

Be aware, that a lot of ILS are not aligned completely with the runway due to several reasons (terrain, etc.). You should always check the charts, where you will find such deviations. I cannot confirm your observation. ILS is working very precisely.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• edited October 2021

CYYZ ILS 06L to minimums. I'll try some other ILS approaches but I don't see how they would be different. The plane should be able to follow the LOC and GS beam pretty easily. The charts show the GS angle if it's beyond standard, the charts show if the LOC beam is offset. It does not affect how the plane can follow the beam. If you are harsh with throttle movements yes, but as I said I was using the keyboard for fine tuning power changes. Also, I've used the appropriate speeds for the approach as per the MJC speed cards. Also, FSX on STeam

• Hi,

Are you using the default scenry or any addon? Which AIRAC are you using?

Rgds
    Reinhard

• edited October 2021

It's default scenery for CYYZ, although I have addon scenery for CYTZ (which is only about 10NM away or so). No other addon scenery. AIRAC current. (how does the FMS database affect the airports Localizer beam?)

• edited October 2021

Yeah it may be a scenery issue with CYYZ. The ILS for 15 was fine for runway boundary. Also, the 06L ILS is a CAT II so maybe there is some sensitivity there too I don't know. 04L ILS KEWR and ILS 22L was fine. The image I am posting is of the CYYZ ILS 06L

• Hi,

I was asking for the AIRAC because of the magnetic variation. If charts, scenery and FMS data are not matching in terms of time, you might experience deviations, as the variation is changing over time. Details about this topic and how it's handled in Canada (different in the north and the south) can be found here:

https://navcanada.ca/en/magnetic-north-vs-true-north.pdf

You might also check the following site for an update to the default scenery:
    https://aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Rgds
    Reinhard

• I lived and flew into Northern Domestic Airspace for 10 years. It was great. I'll check the default scenery.