[p3dv5.3/mjc8-400Training1_024x64] FMS Flight plan: DIST on PERF page too high

Hi folks,

am I mistaken, or is the calculated distance DIST on the PERF page too high?
On a flight GCXO-GVAC it seems about 150NM to high.

Thanks,
Pecker

Comments

• Hi,
    One is unable to provide a proper answer not knowing what the planned route between the city pair is.

If you are using a flight planner suchbas simbrief or similar it should also provide the distance with which you can make a comparison.
  • Hi Crosswind,

I prepare the return flight and keep you posted.
    Does it maybe add the part after the destination runway, ie. the go-around flight path?

Hold on.

Thanks,
    Pecker.

• So, return route:
    GVAC/01 PISPU1A PISPU B623 IPERA UN873 LOMAS DCT CANDE DCT GCXO/30

Simbrief 838NM. PERF page DIST: 1004 whatever unit.
    If it shall be NM, that is 19.8% too much.

Thanks for your patience.
    Pecker

• Will have to have a look at it when i am able to get to the sim later tonight

• Further hints regarding my settings in the Control Panel:
    KG; hPa; Multimedia Timer, not Queue Timer; FDE TO FSX SYNC Disabled.
    At least the first two relate to metric units... B)
    if this is unit issue, not a flight plan issue (path beyond destination runway e.g.).

• Hi Pecker,

I just plan the same route with PFPX and entered it in the FMS and both results are the same: 837 Nm.

That I think could be the culprit: Did you position the Q400 on a different departure airport than GVAC ?

JP

• edited March 2022

@jpgmultimodal said:
    Hi Pecker,

I just plan the same route with PFPX and entered it in the FMS and both results are the same: 837 Nm.

That I think could be the culprit: Did you position the Q400 on a different departure airport than GVAC ?

JP

No, why should I?
    I flew GCXO-GVAC, and then back. Inbetween I deleted the old flight plan.

• OK so you should look somewhere else to find what is wrong on your side.
    Did you check all the distances between each WP on the FMS and your OFP?
    Your FMS should look like this:

• And the OFP (PFPX) should give about the same results with Simbrief:

• Hi JP,
    I just prepared LPPD-GCXO.
    As long as I don't add SID and STAR it is truly fine and as it should be.
    The big add-on comes with the STAR.
    Please check again on your side:

LPPD VSM9R VSM H104 ETROX DCT 3420N DCT ABALO/N0362F250 DCT ORTIS ORTI1L GCXO (STAR via TFN).

The PERF page reads 968NM.
    Simbrief reads 802NM GND DIST.

Thanks in advance.
    Pecker

• Correction. After cleaning up the flight plan (reselect LPPD as FROM; set VSM as TO; delete the NoLink after TFN) I have 980NM on the PERF page.

• Approaching GCXO from the North I see on the MFD a waypoint West of the airport denoted 5500. After RW30 my flight plan shows after 2.4NM FP and next (5500FT) without a distance, but from the MFD I estimate this 'leg' about 60NM, then back to TFN, ie. another about 60NM to enter a holding there.

In essence, IMHU the PERF page DIST does not stop adding the distance with the destination runway, but adds the go-around legs as well.

In the GCXO STAR case the GA climb after RW30 or Intercept legs can add bigger amounts, but adding any amount behind the destination runway is wrong, is it not?

Thanks,
    Pecker.

• Hi Pecker,

You are right regarding the GA distances as they are included in the total distance shown on the FMS.

To compare the OFP with the FMS, delete the GA and you are going to have 809 Nm. Of course, after doing that you have to enter again the full GA in the FMS.

The OFP (without SID/STAR) is going to show you 774 Nm against 772 Nm in the FMS which is correct.

The best way is (on the OFP) to enter the last SID WPT and the first STAR WPT and to add the relevant distances difference. Here +10Nm for the SID and 30 Nm for the STAR. However, I am not sure if you can do that with Simbrief.

The results should always show the OFP distance equal or above the FMS distance.

In the different companies where I worked with, we were doing it that way for the time and fuel calculations (we did not have FMS).

JP

• Hello JP,

as already noted I get the Simbrief Ground Distance before I add the STAR:

@19pecker67 said:
    Hi JP,
    I just prepared LPPD-GCXO.
    As long as I don't add SID and STAR it is truly fine and as it should be.

The big question is now:
    **Show also the true bird the whole distance including the GA legs? **
    (I am sorry, but I don't think so, since this would be utter sheit... ) :'(

If yes, the PERF page DIST is not useful at all,
    also the PERF page ETA seems to include the GA legs.

If no, it is Majestic Q400 bug, right?

Do you know the answer?
    Pecker

• Hi Pecker,

The way that the UNS FMS works has been reproduced that way by Majestic and I do not think there is a bug but I leave the Majestic people to comment on that.

As I said before, the OFP is the document been done by computers with all the parameters of the aircraft to give you all the informations for your flight and, most important, the fuel to carry to have the TRIP, ALTN (including the GA) and FINAL RESERVE.

You check the OFP with the FMS when you have entered your route to see if there are discrepancies but only from the DEP to DEST ; the GA is included in the FMS to be flown in case of GA but these WPs should not be considered when you compare the OFP / FMS.

If you have to GA, the ALTN route has already been calculated in the OFP with FUEL, DIST and TIME. The information given by the FMS is only to fly that route.

The DIST shown on the PERF page includes the GA unless you remove all the WPs after the LDG Rwy.

JP

• Hi JP,

I only speak from my fligh sim experience regarding other FMSes, ie. 717, 737, 777, 747.
    All disregard the legs behind the destination runway, I guess in order to check, if the timetable STA can be kept, and that the Landing Fuel calculations are still correct, or within margins. Their PERF INIT pages offer the RESERVE Field, which serves to input the expected Landing Fuel.

Any Dash8 pilots around?
    Or the Majestic staff?

Thanks in advance.
    Pecker

• The issue may be with the navdata for GCXO, and not the Q400 FMS per se. Have you noticed this issue at other airports/runways? Majestic may have to consult with Navigraph to get this sorted.

Just my .02c.
    Cheers, Jax.

• edited March 2022

@Jax_in_BC said:
    The issue may be with the navdata for GCXO, and not the Q400 FMS per se. Have you noticed this issue at other airports/runways? Majestic may have to consult with Navigraph to get this sorted.

Just my .02c.
    Cheers, Jax.

Hi Jax, thanks for your comment.
    I think it is not restricted to the trip to GCXO.
    Would it be possible that you simply try it on your end by adding e.g. whatever VOR in some distance to your next destination and check the DIST on the perf page in comparison to Simbrief or your planning tool?
    Greetings from EDDT.
    Pecker
    (Edit) P.S. I added the issue on Majestic's bug page here in the forum as well. No answer yet.

• edited April 2022
    We'll will address the issue when we have ta chance to analyse your issue. I am currently out of town for business so not able to throughly addres/trouble shoot the issue.
  • @kroswynd said:
    We'll will address the issue when we have ta chance to analyse your issue. I am currently out of town for business so not able to throughly addres/trouble shoot the issue.

Hi Kroswynd, any news on the issue? Thanks in advance. P