FMC input causes freeze

Hi,
Today I found a route that caused the FMCs to freeze together with most other options in the flight deck. P3DV5.3 did not freeze completely, Chase plane worked and some cockpit buttons worked such as flight/taxi. Other buttons such as QNH would rotate but no data would change. I also had to use the task manager to shut P3D down as it would hang after I tried to close it within the sim.
After much frustration and restarts, the culprit seems to be a waypoint when entered. The route was LHBP to LGTS. I loaded the route via Simbrief downloader. The route was:

RW13L FAHA2B FAHAZ DCT KEROP DCT TISAK DCT OKLOP DCT RAXAD DCT MAKED P36 ALIKO ALIK2F LGTS/16

I completed the FP in the normal way so, selected LHBP, then found the downloaded route. I completed the departure as FP and then the arrival into LGTS. Having selected the landing RW, then finally ILS21R there was an option to go via D342J. If I selected this, the freeze immediately happened. If I did not, no freeze. I can reproduce the freeze every time when D342J is selected.

I mention this only for info of developers and in the event colleagues encounter a similar problem. I cannot recall ever having this issue. The next flight I did with all waypoint in the FMC caused no issue. I suspect it is an isolated issue linked to one STAR? I have both payware for the airports.

Best,

Keith

Comments

• Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Just to ensure the steps that you took in trying to trouble shoot.....

1. Did you attempt entering the route manually without SimBrief's tool?
    2. Was the freeze a continuous one, or did the Sim resume its functionality (I do notice that you advised that you had to forcefully shut down in some cases)?
    3. If this was a route previously/commonly flown, have you flown this before without the freezing issue?
    4. There has been a recent NavLoad Airac from Navigraph (4/20/23), I would suggest using the most recent one to see if the issue is still there (assuming that you are using Navigraph).
    5. What Edition and Version of the Q400 are you using?

When I get back to the lab I will do a test to see if I am able to replicate.

Cheers

• Hi,

I have the training edition 1.025 in P3D v5.3. I use Navigraph and I have installed the AIRAC 2304 rev 1.

I put the plane to LHBP and entered the route manually. And it's exactly the same: When I select D342J the FMC freezes. It's not a complete freeze of the sim, but the sim reacts very slowly.

As this happened to me only in that special case, I assume, that the Navigraph file might have a problem for that arrival route.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• @aua668.... thanks for the verification of the route. It's is very possible that if it is a navigraph issue the best we can do is shoot them a message regarding g the issue and possibly test another aircraft in P3D v5. 3 to see if a similar response is triggered.

We will do some digging on our side to see if anything is amiss.
  • @kroswynd : I tested the same route with the Aerosoft A320 Professional with the same Navigraph AIRAC. I could enter the route without problems. When I entered it, the FMC showed a discontinuity (="No LINK" in the Q400)before and after D342J, which must be removed. But this was possible without problem in the A320.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• I had it freeze on me tonight, third attempt to fly the flight get airborne finally to have it freeze and be unsable after a 1/4 way in.... Very frustrating, the previous version was much better. This one seems to be the worst update in a while.

• > @aua668 said:
    > @kroswynd : I tested the same route with the Aerosoft A320 Professional with the same Navigraph AIRAC. I could enter the route without problems. When I entered it, the FMC showed a discontinuity (="No LINK" in the Q400)before and after D342J, which must be removed. But this was possible without problem in the A320.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Reinhard

Thanks for the update, appreciate the input.
  • > @MontreuilAviation said:
    > I had it freeze on me tonight, third attempt to fly the flight get airborne finally to have it freeze and be unsable after a 1/4 way in.... Very frustrating, the previous version was much better. This one seems to be the worst update in a while.

Can you be more specific with the route used so that we can track what types of fixes or procedures may be the causing factors.
  • I was flying Toronto to Timmins, once I started entering the approach, after selecting it, the map and FMS and part of the PFD stopped moving... It was selected for the ILS 03 YTS. Where can I download the unbroken version, you have no idea the anger you caused me with this update... urghhh

• > @MontreuilAviation said:
    > I was flying Toronto to Timmins, once I started entering the approach, after selecting it, the map and FMS and part of the PFD stopped moving... It was selected for the ILS 03 YTS. Where can I download the unbroken version, you have no idea the anger you caused me with this update... urghhh

> @MontreuilAviation said:
    > I was flying Toronto to Timmins, once I started entering the approach, after selecting it, the map and FMS and part of the PFD stopped moving... It was selected for the ILS 03 YTS. Where can I download the unbroken version, you have no idea the anger you caused me with this update... urghhh

Send an email to our Support
  • I tested Timmins (CYTS) and found the same issue of the FMS freezing. FS Commander shows an error in the navdata for the PETSU, and GUBUP transitions for the ILS 03. Choosing the BONAG, or YTS transition will work just fine. Choosing the ILS03 without picking a transition point will also work fine. The VOR/DME, and the RNAV approaches for rwy 03, work OK.

My sim; P3Dv4.5, Q400 Trainer v1.025

Cheers, Jax

• > @Jax_in_BC said:
    > I tested Timmins (CYTS) and found the same issue of the FMS freezing. FS Commander shows an error in the navdata for the PETSU, and GUBUP transitions for the ILS 03. Choosing the BONAG, or YTS transition will work just fine. Choosing the ILS03 without picking a transition point will also work fine. The VOR/DME, and the RNAV approaches for rwy 03, work OK.
    >
    > My sim; P3Dv4.5, Q400 Trainer v1.025
    >
    > Cheers, Jax

Thanks for the follow up. We are looking into the matter to try and isolate the root cause.
  • The problem had to do with a particular combination of the leg types prior to a holding in the Navigraph database. We think that we were able to resolve this problem. The fix will appear in the upcoming 1.025a version patch

• Great news - many thanks!

• Hi,

Just to confirm: route entry LHBP-LGTS is now possible without any freeze.
    Fonts are also readable again.

Many thanks!
    Reinhard

• Thanks for the update
  • Hi all,

Same problem remains in version 1.025a for fsx. Tried a route from LGLM to LGTS today with the same result. I have also the latest airac 2306 installed.

Chris