Problem with reducing speed at approach

Hello together,

since a few days I have the problem, that I can hardly reduce the speed of the Dash when approaching an airport. I did the approach according to the textbook as usual, but even with the landing gear down, and flaps 15, and app. 15% torque, the speed only goes back to VRef speed in slow motion. I have compared my multiple videos, and there, still 4 weeks ago, under same conditions, the speed went back much faster. Could these changes possibly be related to updates (here Windows 10)? I changed nothing else so far! Simuator P3D V3.

Cheers
Ingo

Comments

• edited July 2023

You do say "since a few days", so I will assume you have done many approaches before and have not had any problems ... in other words, this is something new that has only just started happening.

But, even so, I will ask two obvious questions ...

1) Autopilot off? Could this be due to the autopilot?

2) Is your descent angle too steep?

and a not so obvious question ...

3) Could this be due to the weather? Tail wind? Stormy day?

1. Happens no matter AP is on or off.
    2. negativ
    3. negativ

Have thousands and thousands of hours on that aircraft. Never had a problem with it.

• Not sure if this may be related, and difficult to trouble shoot based on your description, but, have a quick look at your CPAN for the "timer" and ensure that MULTIMEDIA is selected as the Queue timer has been having issues since a Microsoft did an update over a year ago rendering the QUEUE timer inoperable.

If this is not the issue, then are you able to provide a video of the issue. Since I very likely will not be able to replicate it since I no longer have older 32 bit versions of P3D installed on my test systems. I assume it is fair to say that you are using the PILOT or PRO editions of the Q400?

Cheers

• Wilco!

• Hi,

Multimedia timer has been checked! Using the Pro Edition. How do i embed a video sequence here????

• If you upload it to Youtube as an unlisted/unpublished video - then you can copy the link simply past the link in the forum chat.

• O.k. so here you finally are. Approach is from my last flight 23/07/17

• To me, your video appears to show a standard approach with the speeds changing (reducing) at about the same rate as they would do for me in my own cockpit. The reduction of speed is constant and is not too rapid. After all, I would not want to reduce speed too rapidly as it would result in a bad experience for passengers. So, what I see here in your video seems correct and fine to me. That said, I would usually try to get the approach speed to what I want, and stabilize it (keep it there), long before the touch down, and certainly before "minimums".

Now, if this is not correct, and we should be able to reduce the speed more quickly than what is shown here in this video, then it means we both have the same issue and/or I have been doing it incorrectly in each and every version of the MJC400 that I have installed and flown in my sim.

I will await feedback from others/kroswynd.

• Oh my,...

Solution: In the basic settings of P3D indicate "TAS" was checked instead of "KIAS". Now everything works fine again :-)!!!!!

• Ahh. Nice find. 👍

• Hello dear community,

to my regret meanwhile the problem is back again since yesterday :-(!!! I have changed nothing, but also nothing at all at the settings ( neither in the flight simulator, nor within the Dash. Even a complete uninstall/reinstall did not fix the problem. What the hell is going on there? Could it be that in the background flt. ini files or similar things are changing by themselves without being noticed? In any case, you can no longer fly reasonably under these strange behavioural conditions.

• Do not be afraid to go to FLT IDLE with the throttles in order to slow down. If you did that I think you would be a little bit happier with the deceleration.

One thing working against you is the props being at the reduced NP setting. While great for noise, they help you slow down less than if the props were at 1200 (full forward).

Try a couple of approaches at reduced NP and a couple at 1200 RPM. You'll see the difference in deceleration. Be aggressive with the power levers to achieve the speed you want. Once you get down to Vapp, work hard to stay at that speed.

Also, you are waiting a little longer than normal to put the landing gear down. While this is fine for efficient approaches, you have to be more aggressive towards the end of the approach to get on speed by the appropriate time (typically stable at 500 agl -> on speed, on glidepath, on lateral profile with engines at normal approach power setting).

I never flew the Q400 but I have several thousand hours in the Q200 & Q300. The Q200 had a max gear operating speed (Vlo) of 158, and getting to that speed while descending on a 3 degree glideslope was difficult with the props at 900, even at FLT IDLE.

Turboprops are difficult to master, but when you get a hang of them, they are a lot of fun.

• Hello,

thanks for your tips and advice 😃! Nevertheless, unfortunately for me, nothing changes the fact, that the machine is unusable in this form. It must have changed some data whereever independently that I can not influence. Believe me I know with which parameters the Dash is to be flown (has also worked for thousands of hours in the past). I am afraid I will have to reinstall the flight simulator. Will revert when done.

Cheers