Pilot edition questions

I am looking at purchasing the Q 400 pilot edition. I understand there is not a complete set of 2d panels but are there popups of key instruments like PFD etc. ? I was looking at the specs for the pro edition and one of the things I found interesting was the 4x smoother. However, it looks a bit tricky for a non techie like me. Are there any tools available to make the settings a bit easier ?, From what I gather it is possible to upgrade by paying the price difference - correct ?

Finally, I have seen posts by people on some of the other forums that suggest the Q 400 is hard for one person to fly. I am an experienced simmer, but how tough is this plane to fly alone ?

Comments

• edited September 2018

Hi hhatch,

I previously flew the Pilot Edition, before upgrading to the Pro Edition when it was released. Personally, I'd actually recommend you consider getting the Pro Edition over the Pilot Edition purely for the fact that the Pro Edition has a heads up display (HUD) ... (more on that in the second paragraph below). Sure, the Pro Edition also has failures and the shared cockpit option ... things you may not be interested in if you're wanting something that's not going to overwhelm you ... but you can easily turn the failures off with a quick edit of the relevant ini file setting. And, if you're not planning to do shared cockpit, then that's fine as you won't even notice its there unless you actively make efforts to set it up and use it. As for ini file editing and 125Hz controls smoothing etc ("it looks a bit tricky for a non techie like me") there's plenty of people here in these forums who can help you with that kind of thing; not to mention that, yes, there are tools available if you're not sure (for example: http://viaintercity.com/forums/bombardier-dash-8-q400-(dhc-8-402q)/majestic-q400-pro-125hz-controls-config-tool/).

(Note: The URL above may go across two lines meaning you might not be able to simply click on it ... use cut and paste and be sure to get the entire URL in your Browser for it to work.)

As for this aircraft supposedly being difficult for one person to fly ... I fly it by myself, regularly. Sure, there's a few things to learn, and the systems are realistic, but if you read the manuals, use checklists (supplied), and have a willingness to learn, she becomes easy to fly, by yourself, in a fairly short while. In fact, this aircraft is one of the most satisfying planes to fly from start of journey to end of journey. There's plenty to do; but with the aid of the checklists, you get everything done and make it to your destination and touchdown. It's a great feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Is the Pilot Edition easier for one person to fly over the Pro Edition? Well, my answer to that question is the reason why I'd suggest getting the Pro Edition ... the HUD in the Pro Edition greatly enhances the ability for this aircraft to be flown by one person. Both can certainly be flown by one person, but the HUD, in my opinion, makes the Pro Edition easier.

Now, this is all just my opinion. But, that's the way I see it. She's a great aircraft. The Pilot Edition is fantastic in it's own right. But I think the HUD in the Pro Edition is worth having and will make it easier for you in the long run. And, throw in the fact that there's plenty of help here in these forums if you're not sure about things or have questions of a "non techie" nature.

• Thank you for the info. Very helpful.

• You're welcome. Hopefully others will respond too and provide their own feedback/opinions.

• @freddy said:
    Hi hhatch,

I previously flew the Pilot Edition, before upgrading to the Pro Edition when it was released. Personally, I'd actually recommend you consider getting the Pro Edition over the Pilot Edition purely for the fact that the Pro Edition has a heads up display (HUD) ... (more on that in the second paragraph below). Sure, the Pro Edition also has failures and the shared cockpit option ... things you may not be interested in if you're wanting something that's not going to overwhelm you ... but you can easily turn the failures off with a quick edit of the relevant ini file setting. And, if you're not planning to do shared cockpit, then that's fine as you won't even notice its there unless you actively make efforts to set it up and use it. As for ini file editing and 125Hz controls smoothing etc ("it looks a bit tricky for a non techie like me") there's plenty of people here in these forums who can help you with that kind of thing; not to mention that, yes, there are tools available if you're not sure (for example: http://viaintercity.com/forums/bombardier-dash-8-q400-(dhc-8-402q)/majestic-q400-pro-125hz-controls-config-tool/).

(Note: The URL above may go across two lines meaning you might not be able to simply click on it ... use cut and paste and be sure to get the entire URL in your Browser for it to work.)

As for this aircraft supposedly being difficult for one person to fly ... I fly it by myself, regularly. Sure, there's a few things to learn, and the systems are realistic, but if you read the manuals, use checklists (supplied), and have a willingness to learn, she becomes easy to fly, by yourself, in a fairly short while. In fact, this aircraft is one of the most satisfying planes to fly from start of journey to end of journey. There's plenty to do; but with the aid of the checklists, you get everything done and make it to your destination and touchdown. It's a great feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Is the Pilot Edition easier for one person to fly over the Pro Edition? Well, my answer to that question is the reason why I'd suggest getting the Pro Edition ... the HUD in the Pro Edition greatly enhances the ability for this aircraft to be flown by one person. Both can certainly be flown by one person, but the HUD, in my opinion, makes the Pro Edition easier.

Now, this is all just my opinion. But, that's the way I see it. She's a great aircraft. The Pilot Edition is fantastic in it's own right. But I think the HUD in the Pro Edition is worth having and will make it easier for you in the long run. And, throw in the fact that there's plenty of help here in these forums if you're not sure about things or have questions of a "non techie" nature.

Well Said .....and On point!!

I understand there is not a complete set of 2d panels but are there popups of key instruments like PFD etc. ?

>
    If 2D panels are a primary concern for you then the PRO Edition will have the actual panels all respective systems instead of the single availability of PFD/MFD/ED/FMS pop-ups.

Cheers

• @hhatch said:

Finally, I have seen posts by people on some of the other forums that suggest the Q 400 is hard for one person to fly. I am an experienced simmer, but how tough is this plane to fly alone ?

It may be hard at first but which study level plane isn't hard at first? ;) I myself fly the plane alone (and without a HUD) and as freddy said, it's a very satisfying experience. I really love this plane because it keeps you busy all the time (apart from cruise)! There never is a dull moment. Now I have to say that after flying this plane (and almost nothing else) for 9 months or so now I still screw up every now and then, specially when it comes to speeds during descent/approach: every now and then I let them get into the red or into a stall... but usually I can easily do everything on my own. (Although I do use a self made sort of to do list that contains every mandatory step I have to take and that really helps.)

So yes, it IS one of the toughest planes out there because of the workload at certain times during flight, but that's exactly why I love this plane! With other planes I get bored in no time. ;)

BTW I own the Pro version, not because I am into failures or so (in fact, I doubt if I use anything the Pro version offers over the Pilot version) but I simply like it when a plane is complete. ;) I simply like the idea that I can do failures if I want to. Or better said, I simply like this version is even closer to the real thing than the Pilot version.

• One of the reasons I am looking at this plane is the complexity so that I would be kept busy. I wanted a regional aircraft for shorter flights so I would not have to read a book during some trans atlantic flight. I plowed through the A 10c Warthog weapons system in DCS and orbital mechanics in Kerbal Space Program. I know how to study.

I have not yet decided which version to buy but there is one other question I have. What is the procedure to edit the ini file to disable random failures in the pro version. Failures when I screw up are fine but I have no interest in random failures.

• It is a simple value change to a switch within the mjc84.ini: "WEAR_OF_FACTOR=0"

• Be prepared to be persistent with your Q400 setup and learning. It can be frustrating at times but the end result is VERY much worth the time and effort. I have little to no turboprop or jet experience to fall back on (15 years of pistonslappers, both sim and real pilot), yet I’m making very good progress. If I can get to what passes for initial proficiency anyone can do it. This is a beautiful and very enjoyable AC to fly but takes considerable determination to learn.

I will repeat the advice JvanE gave about the throttle. I have learned to fly this AC with one hand almost always on my CH THQ. I moved it to the left side of my desk area to facilitate this. More problems from taking my focus of the throttle than any other issue. I have learned to look at my speed FIRST every time I changed view or focus. Hopefully you have a view program like Chaseplane. It will help a great deal to map views of various cockpit views on your yoke. I have TraciIR but still can’t get my head around it. Maybe someday.

I can only share what is working for me, your mileage may vary. After countless hours of reading, YouTube and Airline2Sim videos I’m focusing on a single flight over and over for training. I picked KSEA to CYVR as it is short yet gives about 8 to 10 minutes of cruise to gather my wits, level off and prepare for decent. The scenery is pretty nice too flying into Vancouver.

I use the checklist from Airline2sim after trying a few. Covers everything and is well done. I also made my own flow list to cover items that need to be done that are apart from the checklists. Vspeeds, coms, loading the fmc, fuel, ATC clearances etc. I have a second monitor for these docs and LittleNavMap.

I’ve made nearly two dozen flights so far with real weather but no ATC. Things still go wrong. Many of them centered around throttle control. It DOES get easier after repeating it, over and over. I’m adding one new piece of the puzzle at a time. This morning I had to switch my APPR into CYVR from the east to come in from the west with a 3000 ceiling and heavy rain. Vectored myself onto the ILS and did a manual decent down from TOD. I would NEVER have been able to do that just a week or two ago. It does come easier if you keep at it.

I made a promise to myself that after I get to where most of the flights are what passes for smooth, I will log at least 250 hours in the Q400 before deciding if I want to move on to the MadDog MD1, 737NGX and/or the 777.

Post your progress and questions please. It is great to see questions and topics from new Q400 users come up here. Due to who knows what, most of the years of archives of learning to fly this AC are lost, both here and on the “other” forum. The more of us that ask intelligent questions the more that history gets rebuilt and makes learning for all us more enjoyable with less frustration.

Cheers,

• I flew jets for a long time and never used auto throttle until recently so I am used to keeping track of that element. I do have EZ Dock which I think will help. The thing I have the most trepidation about is the fmc. I have little experience in that area and I think it will give me fits. It looks quite different from others that I have looked at . We shall see.

• edited September 2018

Well, I have experience (in sims) with Boeing and Airbus FMC's/MCDU's but I have to say that while the Q400 FMS is indeed quite different, I find it easier and more logical to use. First of all it doesn't have as many pages as a Boeing/Airbus FMC has, and secondly I think the way of selecting items by using numbered lists (for selecting Direct to's, setting TOD, but specially for flightplanning, etc.) is pretty clever and easy, also because they only show you things that you can actually use!

Coming from another kind of plane the FMS can be confusing but in your case I think having no experience in that area actually is a huge benefit! ;)