Hand flying

I have the Pilot edition and normally I like to hand fly my approaches from about 30 miles or so out. However, I am finding this plane more than a handful to fly by hand. Straight forward approaches in good weather I can manage ok but more complex approaches cause me to fall behind. There is so much to do in this plane. I do have EZdoc but nothing else like FS Crew. I know the pro edition does have a HUD which looks like it would help.

I'm just curious how many of you fly manually. I'm not the greatest manual pilot but I do like to hand fly approaches which to me is the most challenging aspect of hand flying.

Comments

• I doubt if this plane is flown manually in real life that far out...? I always fly on AP almost up to minimals. Things are hard enough as they are already. ;)

• I did a little reading and it appears that in real life most of the time this plane is flown on AP. Even using AP I certainly don't get bored. My other planes seem easy compared to the Q400.

• Most company SOPs recommend/stipulate that the aircraft be flown using the autopilot. However, it is not uncommon for pilots to hand fly the aircraft up to cruising altitude if one chooses to do so. Some will also hand fly the approach, as this helps to maintain ones proficiency hand flying the aircraft.

Now, if your autopilot is INOP then she is all yours, which is not an uncommon MEL, until you have some crew member crying the blues that he or she does not have a working autopilot.

• My main problem hand flying the Q400 in addition to the fact that it is a plane which requires close attention is the lack of yoke pressure. So I find that I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking at the instruments - not a good thing when flying an approach at a busy airport. Of course this applies to other aircraft as well but is even more difficult with the Q400.

• edited November 2018

The trick to hand-flying the Q is simply obeying the following rules "with every power change there should be a rudder input/trim change" Always stay coordinated and she's a joy to fly. Nothing like the default FSX/P3D aircraft that all fly like on rails. She's a very alive and moody beast at times.

Also, having FS2Crew really helps reduce the workload and focus on the role as PF. Also greatle adds to the immersion.

• I'm not sure I follow. By rudder input do you mean rudder trim? Obviously, power changes require elevator trim to remain in level flight.

• edited November 2018

Yep, rudder trim. It's not such an issue at higher speeds, but at lower speed you've get a big yaw moment with every power change caused by both propellers spinning in the same direction. It takes some work to keep the slip/skid indicator centred!

I takeoff with one needle with of rudder trim but you have to remember to back it off at acceleration altitude otherwise you end up flying sidewards.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, 950+ flights for J41 & Q400 and 200+ for A320

• IRL I hand fly up to cruise and I’m starting to hand fly below 10k. I like hand flying as much as I can. Such a fun plane. Harder in the MJC when you have to use the mouse to click things and you don’t have yoke feedback.
  • @ckyliu said:
    Yep, rudder trim. It's not such an issue at higher speeds, but at lower speed you've get a big yaw moment with every power change caused by both propellers spinning in the same direction. It takes some work to keep the slip/skid indicator centred!

I takeoff with one needle with of rudder trim but you have to remember to back it off at acceleration altitude otherwise you end up flying sidewards.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, 950+ flights for J41 & Q400 and 200+ for A320

For me this plane requires a lot of right rudder to fly straight. I don't see a big difference in speeds either.

• Don't understand why so many people have issues with rudder and trim. I just fly it like a real plane, using my rudder pedals, and never touch the trim. Flies great.

• @bobsk8 said:

I just fly it like a real plane, using my rudder pedals, and never touch the trim.

Ok, you can do it. But how looks your slip/skid indicator? For start I set Ruder trim to 10 right, correct during climb, set to 5 right during cruise and correct again during descent. So my indicator on PFD is always correct on Zero deflection.

• How about elevator trim for hand flying? I can't find how to adjust this: it seems 'set' at the T/O end of the range but, although I have the 'Pro' version this seems one of the few controls that are not functional.

• Elevator trim is available, I have it on one lever of my Throttle Quadrant. But dont ask me how to install it, it was done by another Simmer. On the other hand its really difficult for me to use the trim. Should I adjust Pitch per Yoke or per Trim?

• edited November 2018

Orville, are you using the 100 Hz controls? If so you will need to add lines to the ini file for all your yoke/joystick buttons.

Guenther, you really can't fly this bird without elevator trim, otherwise you lose pitch/elevator authority especially during the landing phase. Generally trim in flight is set using a rocker switch on the yoke, you only use trim wheels on the ground to set for takeoff.

• Hi ckyliu. I'm displaying my ignorance here...what are 100 Hz controls and ho can I find out whether I'm using them or not? I run FSX-SE and using Saitke / Logitech Yoke / Throttle Quadrant and Rudder pedals.

• edited November 2018

If you don't know about them, you're probably not using them ;-) By default FSX/P3D controls and the flight dynamics run at simulator framerate. However, the Majestic Q400 flight dynamics run in a NASA JSBSim derivative at 100 Hz and the Pro version can receive flight control inputs at the same 100 Hz if FSX/P3D controls are bypassed by hand editing of the MJC84.ini file which allows for smoother flight. This is quite complicated as you must configure the buttons on your controls through it too, so I don't recommend it for novice computer users.

• Thanks ckyliu, but actually I'm not a novice computer user at all. Even so, I found your explanation a tad obscure. I'm more than capable of, and experienced in, editing the .ini and .cfg files - if I know what to look for and what to change.

• edited November 2018
    Never said you are a novice, just suggested to avoid 125 Hz controls if you lacked the experience. I don't own the pro version so I can't advise further but there's plenty in the archived version of the forums. Probably something in the documentation too.

Just look for any mentions of 125 (it is 125, not 100, my mistake earlier)!

• OK ckyliu, that's a good steer. I'll look into the archive.Thanks

• 30 miles out !!! Wow your a hero

• I can recommend this little config tool for 125hz control setup. http://viaintercity.com/forums/bombardier-dash-8-q400-(dhc-8-402q)/majestic-q400-pro-125hz-controls-config-tool/
    Make sure to remove the according axis from your P3D controls.