CTD on Launch at Addon Airports

Hello,
I recently purchased the pro version of this addon, and would like to ask for help with a CTD issue that keeps happening. I have been able to get it to run a couple times, but it is inconsistent and CTDs most of the time.

I am using P3Dv4.5 with Active Sky and have set Ready for Takeoff state through the Control Panel. My PC is composed of an i7-8700k, 1080ti and 32GB of RAM. I have multiple other addons that have worked fine, including PMDG, QW and Leonardo.

1. At first, I thought this was related to the other posts on this forum about the Active Sky setting in the ini file, but I still got this issue even when I set both weather modes to 0 in there.
  2. I tried reinstalling as admin but that didn't do the trick.
  3. Someone suggested to just try loading into the default airport, and then switching over to an addon, which seems to work. This would suggest memory issues, even though I feel like that is something that shouldn't happen anymore after moving away from FSX and its OOM problems.

Any idea what may be causing this? Could it be because I am starting in Ready for Takeoff mode? Is there a Q400 specific error log I can check?

Comments

• Hello,

While CTDs are not a very common occurrence to the MJC Q400 they certainly do happen. These are a few items that come to mind:-

1. Just to be sure, are you running the 64bit version of the Q400, as there have been simple oversights during purchase in the past where users have gotten the 32 bit in error.

2. Have you tried running the Q400 without any other utilities running along side the simulation to see if the CTD occurs?

3. Is the CTD happening around the same after performing a specific task(s), and if so what action are you performing when the CTD happens?

4. What aircraft do you have as the default aircraft that loads in the SIM when it starts? If it is a complex aircraft like a PMDG, or FSLabs, etc, this can cause problems if loading the Q400 with a complex aircraft set as your default. If you do have a complex aircraft loaded be sure to load a default aircraft, THEN load the Q400.

5. You mentioned that you reinstalled the aircraft, but to be sure did you "un-install" the Q400 first before performing the re-installation?

6. Are you installing the Q400 to a different location apart from where the installer is attempting to install the aircraft?

Keep us posted.

Cheers

• edited August 9
    1. The download file the store gave me was mjc8-400-Pro-1_020x64-inst, which sounds like 64 bit.
    2. Not sure what you mean by utilities. P3D has a lot of addons that have accumulated over the years. It would be hard to go and disable each and every one, such as Chaseplane, OrbX, GSX, etc.
    3. Nothing special. Just loading a craft into an airport as I do with all my other addons.
    4. I load into P3D with default everything. Craft and airport. I then go and select which addons I want to fly.
    5. I ran the uninstaller Uninstl-mjc8q4
    6. Nope.

Still wondering if you can answer these questions though:

1. Is there a majestic specific error log?
    2. Is this because I am in Ready for Takeoff mode?
    3. Do I need to install the 1.020a patch?

It is very odd that the Majestic Q400 crashes on load at Aerosoft's Heathrow Professional Mega Airport, but loads up fine at other non-addon airports. None of the PMDG products seem to have this issue.

1. There is an error log which should be located in in the P3D v4.x root directory "CMJC84BaseErr.log". Simply email this if one has been created and email it to our Support department, and attach this thread in the email.

2. The panel state that you have chosen should not be the cause for the CTD. Have you tried the other panel states to see if the results are the same?

3. It would be advisable to install the patch, we did create it for several other issues pertinent to the aircraft.

@PropLover said:
    1. The download file the store gave me was mjc8-400-Pro-1_020x64-inst, which sounds like 64 bit.

This would be the correct download.

1. Not sure what you mean by utilities. P3D has a lot of addons that have accumulated over the years. It would be hard to go and disable each and every one, such as Chaseplane, OrbX, GSX, etc.

Third party add-ons that interact with the simulation platform such as Sky Force, Active Sky or any other weather generator, Aivlasoft's EFB, etc.

1. Nothing special. Just loading a craft into an airport as I do with all my other addons.

Fair enough, but is the CTD happening immediately after loading the aircraft, or is there a time period where the aircraft runs and then will CTD. Does it CTD when turning on the weather radar, changing views, etc?

1. I load into P3D with default everything. Craft and airport. I then go and select which addons I want to fly.

Ok that sounds like the normal mode of operation.

1. I ran the uninstaller Uninstl-mjc8q4

Copy.

1. Nope.

Ok just making sure as some folks have attempted to move the installation directory and end up having more issues.

It is very odd that the Majestic Q400 crashes on load at Aerosoft's Heathrow Professional Mega Airport, but loads up fine at other non-addon airports. None of the PMDG products seem to have this issue.

There has to be something specific to your setup that may be causing the CTD and or a third party add-on/utility that may be causing the issues which we need to isolate and correct.

• @kroswynd thank you sir for your patience with this issue, and I do hope we can isolate and correct the root cause as I would very much like to use this addon.

1. I was unfortunately not able to find this error log file in either the P3D or Q400 base folders.
    2. Tested other panel states and loading at EGLL still CTDs.
    3. Installed the 1.020a patch from the User Area site of the forum, and the problem still persists.
    4. Tried running it with Active Sky, in reference to the previous #2, and no success.
    5. In regards to previous #3, the CTD happens a couple seconds after selecting your scenario options and clicking OK. One interesting thing I noticed is that when this issue happens at EGLL, you never see this window show up when the loading starts: https://i.imgur.com/wCwBFbZ.png Instead, you just see the spinning blue mouse icon with the blackscreen, and then a CTD 10 seconds later.
    6. I thought it might be related to having the Q400 config app open when starting the flight, but that doesn't seem to matter either.
    7. I wanted to reinstall it a third time to make sure that I did it right, but then I noticed that my number of installs showed in the User Area section as 3, and I want to save those for if I need to format and reinstall everything on my computer later this year.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on what I can try. Thanks for your time!

• @PropLover said:

1. I was unfortunately not able to find this error log file in either the P3D or Q400 base folders.

Sounds like the error file is not being created as the CTD seems to be happening before the aircraft is loaded into the SIM.

1. Tested other panel states and loading at EGLL still CTDs.

** More than likely the panel states are not the issue.**

1. Installed the 1.020a patch from the User Area site of the forum, and the problem still persists.

More than likely there is something else more than likely within you simulator set which is not playing well with the Q400.

1. Tried running it with Active Sky, in reference to the previous #2, and no success.

The suggestion was to run the Q400 "without" the add-ons running in the background.

1. In regards to previous #3, the CTD happens a couple seconds after selecting your scenario options and clicking OK. One interesting thing I noticed is that when this issue happens at EGLL, you never see this window show up when the loading starts: https://i.imgur.com/wCwBFbZ.png Instead, you just see the spinning blue mouse icon with the blackscreen, and then a CTD 10 seconds later.

Now when you say "OUR SCENARIO" options, are you attempting to load a scenario before loading the Q400? If this is the case can simply attempt to load the Q400 at the default airport of the simulator (unless you have changed your default settings). If so, then choose a default airport i.e. KVPS and simply load the aircraft.

The issue you mention with the spinning circle upon attempting to load the simulator I have seen before and in my case resulted in an issue with non-default scenery. After correcting the issue with the scenery, then I was able to get the Q400 to load at that given airport (but that was my issue).

1. I thought it might be related to having the Q400 config app open when starting the flight, but that doesn't seem to matter either.

The CPAN should not create any issues.

1. I wanted to reinstall it a third time to make sure that I did it right, but then I noticed that my number of installs showed in the User Area section as 3, and I want to save those for if I need to format and reinstall everything on my computer later this year.

Hold off before going into another re-installation, as this does not seem like a protection issue of the aircraft, but may be linked to a scenery issue within your SIM which is not playing well with the Q400. However, if you have not installed the Q400 in the preferred manner which is by right clicking on the installer and Running As Administrator, then do so.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

• "The suggestion was to run the Q400 "without" the add-ons running in the background."

It was just a typo that I wanted to correct, but the forum would not let me edit my post. I tried it with Active Sky off, and it didnt help.

"The issue you mention with the spinning circle upon attempting to load the simulator I have seen before and in my case resulted in an issue with non-default scenery. After correcting the issue with the scenery, then I was able to get the Q400 to load at that given airport (but that was my issue)."

As I said before, this is only happening with your addon, and none of the other addons I own, which would strongly suggest this is an issue with the Q400. Again, just to reiterate, here are only a _few _of the addons I own, which load up absolutely fine at EGLL:

1. PMDG 737, 747, 777
    2. Leonardo Maddog 80/88
    3. QW 787, RJ100
    4. FSLabs 320X
    5. Carenado 208C, F50, B1900D
    6. and many more...

I seriously doubt that the issue is with my sim, if all these addons load up fine at EGLL, It logically does not make sense.