CTD on Launch at Addon Airports

Hello,
I recently purchased the pro version of this addon, and would like to ask for help with a CTD issue that keeps happening. I have been able to get it to run a couple times, but it is inconsistent and CTDs most of the time.

I am using P3Dv4.5 with Active Sky and have set Ready for Takeoff state through the Control Panel. My PC is composed of an i7-8700k, 1080ti and 32GB of RAM. I have multiple other addons that have worked fine, including PMDG, QW and Leonardo.

1. At first, I thought this was related to the other posts on this forum about the Active Sky setting in the ini file, but I still got this issue even when I set both weather modes to 0 in there.
  2. I tried reinstalling as admin but that didn't do the trick.
  3. Someone suggested to just try loading into the default airport, and then switching over to an addon, which seems to work. This would suggest memory issues, even though I feel like that is something that shouldn't happen anymore after moving away from FSX and its OOM problems.

Any idea what may be causing this? Could it be because I am starting in Ready for Takeoff mode? Is there a Q400 specific error log I can check?

Comments

• Hello,

While CTDs are not a very common occurrence to the MJC Q400 they certainly do happen. These are a few items that come to mind:-

1. Just to be sure, are you running the 64bit version of the Q400, as there have been simple oversights during purchase in the past where users have gotten the 32 bit in error.

2. Have you tried running the Q400 without any other utilities running along side the simulation to see if the CTD occurs?

3. Is the CTD happening around the same after performing a specific task(s), and if so what action are you performing when the CTD happens?

4. What aircraft do you have as the default aircraft that loads in the SIM when it starts? If it is a complex aircraft like a PMDG, or FSLabs, etc, this can cause problems if loading the Q400 with a complex aircraft set as your default. If you do have a complex aircraft loaded be sure to load a default aircraft, THEN load the Q400.

5. You mentioned that you reinstalled the aircraft, but to be sure did you "un-install" the Q400 first before performing the re-installation?

6. Are you installing the Q400 to a different location apart from where the installer is attempting to install the aircraft?

Keep us posted.

Cheers

• edited August 2019
    1. The download file the store gave me was mjc8-400-Pro-1_020x64-inst, which sounds like 64 bit.
    2. Not sure what you mean by utilities. P3D has a lot of addons that have accumulated over the years. It would be hard to go and disable each and every one, such as Chaseplane, OrbX, GSX, etc.
    3. Nothing special. Just loading a craft into an airport as I do with all my other addons.
    4. I load into P3D with default everything. Craft and airport. I then go and select which addons I want to fly.
    5. I ran the uninstaller Uninstl-mjc8q4
    6. Nope.

Still wondering if you can answer these questions though:

1. Is there a majestic specific error log?
    2. Is this because I am in Ready for Takeoff mode?
    3. Do I need to install the 1.020a patch?

It is very odd that the Majestic Q400 crashes on load at Aerosoft's Heathrow Professional Mega Airport, but loads up fine at other non-addon airports. None of the PMDG products seem to have this issue.

1. There is an error log which should be located in in the P3D v4.x root directory "CMJC84BaseErr.log". Simply email this if one has been created and email it to our Support department, and attach this thread in the email.

2. The panel state that you have chosen should not be the cause for the CTD. Have you tried the other panel states to see if the results are the same?

3. It would be advisable to install the patch, we did create it for several other issues pertinent to the aircraft.

@PropLover said:
    1. The download file the store gave me was mjc8-400-Pro-1_020x64-inst, which sounds like 64 bit.

This would be the correct download.

1. Not sure what you mean by utilities. P3D has a lot of addons that have accumulated over the years. It would be hard to go and disable each and every one, such as Chaseplane, OrbX, GSX, etc.

Third party add-ons that interact with the simulation platform such as Sky Force, Active Sky or any other weather generator, Aivlasoft's EFB, etc.

1. Nothing special. Just loading a craft into an airport as I do with all my other addons.

Fair enough, but is the CTD happening immediately after loading the aircraft, or is there a time period where the aircraft runs and then will CTD. Does it CTD when turning on the weather radar, changing views, etc?

1. I load into P3D with default everything. Craft and airport. I then go and select which addons I want to fly.

Ok that sounds like the normal mode of operation.

1. I ran the uninstaller Uninstl-mjc8q4

Copy.

1. Nope.

Ok just making sure as some folks have attempted to move the installation directory and end up having more issues.

It is very odd that the Majestic Q400 crashes on load at Aerosoft's Heathrow Professional Mega Airport, but loads up fine at other non-addon airports. None of the PMDG products seem to have this issue.

There has to be something specific to your setup that may be causing the CTD and or a third party add-on/utility that may be causing the issues which we need to isolate and correct.

• @kroswynd thank you sir for your patience with this issue, and I do hope we can isolate and correct the root cause as I would very much like to use this addon.

1. I was unfortunately not able to find this error log file in either the P3D or Q400 base folders.
    2. Tested other panel states and loading at EGLL still CTDs.
    3. Installed the 1.020a patch from the User Area site of the forum, and the problem still persists.
    4. Tried running it with Active Sky, in reference to the previous #2, and no success.
    5. In regards to previous #3, the CTD happens a couple seconds after selecting your scenario options and clicking OK. One interesting thing I noticed is that when this issue happens at EGLL, you never see this window show up when the loading starts: https://i.imgur.com/wCwBFbZ.png Instead, you just see the spinning blue mouse icon with the blackscreen, and then a CTD 10 seconds later.
    6. I thought it might be related to having the Q400 config app open when starting the flight, but that doesn't seem to matter either.
    7. I wanted to reinstall it a third time to make sure that I did it right, but then I noticed that my number of installs showed in the User Area section as 3, and I want to save those for if I need to format and reinstall everything on my computer later this year.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on what I can try. Thanks for your time!

• @PropLover said:

1. I was unfortunately not able to find this error log file in either the P3D or Q400 base folders.

Sounds like the error file is not being created as the CTD seems to be happening before the aircraft is loaded into the SIM.

1. Tested other panel states and loading at EGLL still CTDs.

** More than likely the panel states are not the issue.**

1. Installed the 1.020a patch from the User Area site of the forum, and the problem still persists.

More than likely there is something else more than likely within you simulator set which is not playing well with the Q400.

1. Tried running it with Active Sky, in reference to the previous #2, and no success.

The suggestion was to run the Q400 "without" the add-ons running in the background.

1. In regards to previous #3, the CTD happens a couple seconds after selecting your scenario options and clicking OK. One interesting thing I noticed is that when this issue happens at EGLL, you never see this window show up when the loading starts: https://i.imgur.com/wCwBFbZ.png Instead, you just see the spinning blue mouse icon with the blackscreen, and then a CTD 10 seconds later.

Now when you say "OUR SCENARIO" options, are you attempting to load a scenario before loading the Q400? If this is the case can simply attempt to load the Q400 at the default airport of the simulator (unless you have changed your default settings). If so, then choose a default airport i.e. KVPS and simply load the aircraft.

The issue you mention with the spinning circle upon attempting to load the simulator I have seen before and in my case resulted in an issue with non-default scenery. After correcting the issue with the scenery, then I was able to get the Q400 to load at that given airport (but that was my issue).

1. I thought it might be related to having the Q400 config app open when starting the flight, but that doesn't seem to matter either.

The CPAN should not create any issues.

1. I wanted to reinstall it a third time to make sure that I did it right, but then I noticed that my number of installs showed in the User Area section as 3, and I want to save those for if I need to format and reinstall everything on my computer later this year.

Hold off before going into another re-installation, as this does not seem like a protection issue of the aircraft, but may be linked to a scenery issue within your SIM which is not playing well with the Q400. However, if you have not installed the Q400 in the preferred manner which is by right clicking on the installer and Running As Administrator, then do so.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

• "The suggestion was to run the Q400 "without" the add-ons running in the background."

It was just a typo that I wanted to correct, but the forum would not let me edit my post. I tried it with Active Sky off, and it didnt help.

"The issue you mention with the spinning circle upon attempting to load the simulator I have seen before and in my case resulted in an issue with non-default scenery. After correcting the issue with the scenery, then I was able to get the Q400 to load at that given airport (but that was my issue)."

As I said before, this is only happening with your addon, and none of the other addons I own, which would strongly suggest this is an issue with the Q400. Again, just to reiterate, here are only a _few _of the addons I own, which load up absolutely fine at EGLL:

1. PMDG 737, 747, 777
    2. Leonardo Maddog 80/88
    3. QW 787, RJ100
    4. FSLabs 320X
    5. Carenado 208C, F50, B1900D
    6. and many more...

I seriously doubt that the issue is with my sim, if all these addons load up fine at EGLL, It logically does not make sense.

• I currently don't own EGLL but it would be interesting to see if anyone who owns the scenery in the forum experiences the same issue when attempting to load that specific airport.

@PropLover said:

I have been able to get it to run a couple times, but it is inconsistent and CTDs most of the time.

It is somewhat challenging to trouble shoot this issue as it is not being experienced by others, and you did state in your first post that it is an intermittent occurrence. So we need to find out what are the conditions under which you are able to get the Q400 to run, and if so for how long before a CTD event occurs. In most cases you did advise that a CTD will occur upon initial loading of the aircraft.

In another thread you made mention of our Scenario options (there are no pre-loaded scenarios for the Q400). I did ask if you were attempting to load a compiled and saved scenario of the Q400, but did not get a specific answer to that question,

In regards to previous #3, the CTD happens a couple seconds after selecting your scenario options and clicking OK. One interesting thing I noticed is that when this issue happens at EGLL, you never see this window show up when the loading starts: https://i.imgur.com/wCwBFbZ.png Instead, you just see the spinning blue mouse icon with the blackscreen, and then a CTD 10 seconds later.

>

So while the issue could very well be the Q400, we need to isolate what may be causing the SIM to CTD only when attempting load the Dash. My SIM PC is practically the same as yours, but of course our configurations could worlds apart. It could very well linked to a setting within your P3D.cfg. You could save you current copy of the P3D.cfg, delete the current one and let the SIM rebuild a new one and load the Q400 on a vanilla P3D.cfg and see if the same occurs.

Keep us posted

• @kroswynd said:
    I currently don't own EGLL but it would be interesting to see if anyone who owns the scenery in the forum experiences the same issue when attempting to load that specific airport.

Sounds good. I have Orbx Europe and England as well, in case that helps.

It is somewhat challenging to trouble shoot this issue as it is not being experienced by others, and you did state in your first post that it is an intermittent occurrence. So we need to find out what are the conditions under which you are able to get the Q400 to run, and if so for how long before a CTD event occurs. In most cases you did advise that a CTD will occur upon initial loading of the aircraft.

As I said in my initial post, "Someone suggested to just try loading into the default airport, and then switching over to an addon, which seems to work." Works at the default airport reliably, whereas it seems to have issues with Aerosoft's EGLL

In another thread you made mention of our Scenario options (there are no pre-loaded scenarios for the Q400). I did ask if you were attempting to load a compiled and saved scenario of the Q400, but did not get a specific answer to that question,

Sorry, I hadn't seen a reply to that thread when I last checked, but thank you for doing so. I had not loaded a compiled or saved scenario as I read a long time ago that trying to load saved states on other addons like PMDG could cause issues.

So while the issue could very well be the Q400, we need to isolate what may be causing the SIM to CTD only when attempting load the Dash. My SIM PC is practically the same as yours, but of course our configurations could worlds apart. It could very well linked to a setting within your P3D.cfg. You could save you current copy of the P3D.cfg, delete the current one and let the SIM rebuild a new one and load the Q400 on a vanilla P3D.cfg and see if the same occurs.

I very recently deleted the P3D.cfg file in order for it to create a new one. Its very unfortunate that we are not seeing a Q400 specific log file of some sort to help debug this issue.

In order to cover all my bases, I went ahead and reinstalled the app as administrator, and it still has the same issue. At this point I have spent a lot of time debugging and reloading this addon, and believe that I have put in some serious effort to try and figure out why it is not loading at the Aerosoft EGLL addon. I do not believe the issue is on my side as all my other airplane addons load there fine.

I will try do some more testing into the stability of the app, in terms of loading at other airports, and then completing a full flight. EGLL is a pretty major airport though, and very popular destination on VATSIM. I really hope we can get to the bottom of this.

• Spent some more time trying to test the Q400 issues:

1. Tried loading up the Q400 at the Drzewiecki Design KSEA addon, and it also CTD before loading.
    2. Set both ASN_INTERFACE=0 and WXAR_INTERFACE=0 and it loaded the Q400 at KSEA, but would still not load it at EGLL.
    3. My active sky is updated to the latest version for P3Dv4.5, so am not sure why it would have a problem with it.
    4. I have also gotten the Q400 to work with that ASN_INTERFACE set to 1, so am not sure what is up with the inconsistency.
    5. Went right back and loaded both the PMDG748 and MD88 at both KSEA and EGLL without issues.

I'm sorry, but at this point I have run out of things to try in terms of debugging this addon, and I don't want too fly it if it's in this sort of unstable condition, as I do not know if it will just CTD during a flight.

If there is any doubt about what I'm saying, then I would be happy to do a screensharing session and show how I am able to load all the addons I mentioned in the previous posts.

Open to more suggestions on how to debug this, and thank you for your time.

• I am currently out of the country dealing with a family emergency. When I return I Wil dig deeper into this.

We thank you for your patience
  • edited September 2019

@PropLover ,

How goes it? Have not forget you or given up on you amidst of our busy schedules. I have been trying to replicate your issue with a few payware add-ons. While I do not have the scenery in question that you are having issues with I was able to have a few CTDs.

I am still attempting to get to the bottom of this issue as it is intermittent whereby there are some high quality add-ons that this behavior is exhibited and other that it does not present an issue. My test airports for the moment have been CYUL, KBOS, KSEA, KPDX.

Will keep you posted if I am able to pin-point something off the top.

Cheers

• edited September 2019

Ok .....> @PropLover said:

1. Not sure what you mean by utilities. P3D has a lot of addons that have accumulated over the years. It would be hard to go and disable each and every one, such as Chaseplane, OrbX, GSX, etc.

While you mention that it would be difficult disable each and every third party add-on it may be necessary, especially since we don't know your specific setup, and this may very well be your issue.

ChasePlane - could very well be the culprit of your CTDs depending on how you have it configured. I was able to get my SIM crash at least 7/10 when running CP using the Experimental updates, apart from that the Q400 at any airport loads and functions for the duration of the sim session without issue.

For starters I would recommend simply closing down CP after your sim starts and then load you payware airport along with the Q400 and see if the CTDs continue, if the loads are successful, test a few more payware airports to see if the loads are continually successful. From this point check within your CP settings and see if you have "Experimental Features" enabled, if so disable them and then repeat the loading process.

Now granted, this may not be the actual cause, but as of now it was what I was able to detect as a possible issue at least in my case.

Keep us posted.

Cheers

• edited October 2019

I have experienced an identical CTD loading the Q400 at KSEA. I hadn't flown the Q in quite some time, but had never experienced CTD's with it...but that was before P3Dv4.5 HF2. At KSEA I consistently get the CTD - about 10-15 seconds of spinning blue circle on a black screen, then CTD. Windows error log shows faulting module is ntdll.dll
    I use ChasePlane and turned off experimental versions, but I still get a CTD loading into KSEA.
    The only reliable solution I've found is to load the default F-22 into KSEA, then switch to the Q400, and all is then well.

EDIT:
    One other issue I've found loading the Q400 at KSEA - my Q400 startup is set as Cold and Dark, but at KSEA I hear ATIS immediately after the Q loads, even though battery master is off and obviously radios are off. KSEA ATIS is indeed 118.0 which is also the default radio frequency when the Q loads.

Kind Regards,
    Steven Miller

• Today while flying online with some friends that have the Q400, but DON'T have ChasePlane, I had them try loading the Q directly into KSEA and they also had CTD. So I'm going to suggest that ChasePlane is not the cause of the CTD...it may contribute, but it doesn't appear to be the cause.

Kind Regards,
    Steven Miller

• Gents/Ladies,

Apologies for the delayed response to this thread, but be aware that is not being ignored. We are looking into some issues, and this will be one of them as something within the last few patches of P3D may have changed, not quite sure what but we'll get to the bottom of it.

Cheers

• @somiller thank you for letting us know. Can you please tell us which company is the developer of the KSEA scenery ?