flying level (straight)

Hi guys
really knew to the Dash! loving it so far..
one question, from the minute power is applied and nose gear steering off the aircraft wants to veer to the left.
when in cruise even with no wind the aircraft wants to sit at a slightly wind down position, wing dipping to the right!
please see attached? also once the autopilot is disengaged the aircraft wants to roll to the left again? any ideas?

cheers

Comments

  • That the Dash as a propeller machine pulls to the left or turns, is still normal, since both propellers turn in the same direction. Adjust it to the ground on the ground before starting by a corresponding rudder trim to the right. In cruising respectively, generally with a change of the Power Lever Position / Torque, it may be necessary to re-trim.

  • 2 x 4,500 shp engines = Loadsa torque - either applied with some rudder, or via application of rudder trim.

  • edited November 5

    @Jetmagic said:

    one question, from the minute power is applied and nose gear steering off the aircraft wants to veer to the left.

    The real Q400 has a free castering nose gear system which can allow the use of asymmetrical thrust and braking for directional control on the ground when the nose wheel steering system is inop. This function is not modeled in the PRO Edition, but is being experimented with in the TRAINING, however if the nose wheel steering is not activated in the PRO is the nose wheel is not centered the aircraft will pull to the side in which the nose wheel is pointing.

    when in cruise even with no wind the aircraft wants to sit at a slightly wind down position, wing dipping to the right!
    please see attached? also once the autopilot is disengaged the aircraft wants to roll to the left again? any ideas?

    The application of rudder trim is required when flying the Q400 especially after making changes to power (especially slower speeds) due to yaw driven by both propellers spinning in the same direction. You are usually able to easily determine if the aircraft is out of trim on the EADI at the top where there is a small white triangle with a split base. If the split base is not aligned with the triangle then you simply need to apply trim. If the base is to the left of the triangle then you need left trim adjustments and if it to the right...well you get the idea.

    Cheers

  • Thank you so much.
  • edited November 5

    @kroswynd said:

    @Jetmagic said:

    one question, from the minute power is applied and nose gear steering off the aircraft wants to veer to the left.

    The real Q400 has a free castering nose gear system which can allow the use of asymmetrical thrust and braking for directional control on the ground when the nose wheel steering system is inop. This function is not modeled in the PRO Edition, but is being experimented with in the TRAINING, however if the nose wheel steering is not activated in the PRO is the nose wheel is not centered the aircraft will pull to the side in which the nose wheel is pointing.

    when in cruise even with no wind the aircraft wants to sit at a slightly wind down position, wing dipping to the right!
    please see attached? also once the autopilot is disengaged the aircraft wants to roll to the left again? any ideas?


    The application of rudder trim is required when flying the Q400 especially after making changes to power (especially slower speeds) due to yaw driven by both propellers spinning in the same direction. You are usually able to easily determine if the aircraft is out of trim on the EADI at the top where there is a small white triangle with a split base. If the split base is not aligned with the triangle then you simply need to apply trim. If the base is to the left of the triangle then you need left trim adjustments and if it to the right...well you get the idea.

    Cheers

    Sorry for joining this thread late but I have a dummy question: what's and where's the EADI?

    Thanks,
    Alessandro

  • what is meant is probably the SLIP / SKID indicator on the PFD above

  • @FraPre said:
    what is meant is probably the SLIP / SKID indicator on the PFD above

    FraPre, thank you. Since I'm not sure I understood which indicator you're referring, could you post a screenshot?

    Cheers,
    Alessandro

  • I think this is what you're looking for...

  • jb995,
    now it's clear. Thank you to have explained this.

    Cheers,
    Alessandro

  • edited November 5

    ***> Sorry for joining this thread late but I have a dummy question: what's and where's the EADI?

    @FraPre
    The EADI is the abbreviation for Electronic Attitude Director Indicator. The EADI is the top instrument on the PFD which displays attitude information. I should have been more clear in simply stating the it was the attitude indicator, with which the conventional slip/skid indication is affixed at the top which is represented by a white triangle.

    @alleusai
    Thank you for providing the image.

    Cheers

  • @kroswynd
    just to say the image was provided by jb995 :).
    EADI sounds good for me but I'm pretty sure that in this thread, since yesterday, EDHI was quoted instead of EADI.
    However is it clear now :wink:

    Cheer,
    Alessandro

  • @kroswynd I know that, but you obviously and accidentally wrote EDHI. I thought first you mean the airport EDHI. ;)

  • Yes you are both correct, I corrected the errors so that anyone else reading would not be confused ....

    The joys of corresponding via cell phone and not taking the time to proof what I wrote.

    Thanks and cheers
Sign In or Register to comment.