No Airways from YYZ in Q400 Tutorial

Relearning the Q400 after being away for a few months. Using tutorial flight CYZD to KEWR. Building FPL in FMC. After arrival and depart airports I add VOR YYZ. All OK, it adds. However, when I hightlight KEWR, push LIST, AIRWAY the FMC comes up with (NONE) for airways from YYZ (Toronto). I updated Navigraph to latest cycle. Still None under airways for YYZ.

Can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. I believe I'm following the tutorial text correctly. Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited July 2018

Aren't you suppose to highlight YYZ then select list? You're picking airways outbound of the selected waypoint, not inbound, iirc.

Also have you updated the AIRAC, that could cause available airways to change compared to old tutorials.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, over 950+ J41 & Q400 flights and 200+ for A320

• Ok...so based on what you are trying accomplish, sounds like you may be approaching it the wrong way.

The departure and arrival points will only provide you with data by selecting "ARRIVE or DEPART" where by allowing you to input the departure or arrival runway, sids and or stars and appropriate approaches.

However, after adding the first waypoint which your case appears to YYZ you can now select LIST, which will provide VORs, Airways, etc. the premise here is that you need to instruct the FMS of what your intentions are after reaching the YYZ VOR, or in another example an intersection/ndb.

Hope this helps to clarify them issue.

Cheers

• edited July 2018

ckyliu and Master...

THANK YOU for taking a moment to attempt to assist this old piston slapper trying his damnest to transition into the "jet age".

I understand the concept here. I actually have spent some time with various FMC's over the past few years. I keep falling away back to the classic piston ac. However, this time I am bound and determined to learn this Q400, whatever time and effort it takes.

I have been fighting with this Q400 software for most of the day with VERY frustrating result.

I know both of you are trying to be of help, and I truly appreciate the attempt. Again, thank you!

I sit at the FMC under the FLP with three waypoints in the FPL. 1. CYZD 2. YYZ and 3. KEWR

From page 32 of the Majestic Software Q400 Delivery Tutorial...

"To get V252, make sure the next waypoint is highlighted (in this case, KEWR) and press the LIST key.

LIST gives you options for inserting different waypoints, airports, as well as airways. LSK 2R gives us the airways option. You will see a whole list of airways leading from YYZ......"

No airways. No airways. No airways. There are only three wapoints here to work with. NONE of them provide waypoint info from the LIST screen.

Of course I tried to press the LIST button with YYZ highlighted. There is no LSK option with airways on it. When pressed the center screen lists nearby airports. The various LSK's have NDB, VOR GAP and INT.... No airways.

Of course I can just enter the next VOR, GEE after YYZ, but doing so will not populate the waypoints between YYZ and GEE.

On top of fighting with this for three days now I cannot get the Q400 to come up in any other state but cold and dark. I configure the CPAN, save it for either ready to taxi or ready for takeoff and IT WILL NOT RECONFIGURE. I Apply, I try every reload and save option known to man. I create multiple new flights and save them. EVERY ONE comes up cold and dark, even though when opening the CPAN the Flight Config is set to NOT have it load Cold and Dark.

AND.... the reason I want a ready state is to work with my TH Warthog Throttle which works flawlessly in every other ac I fly but won't set itself up with the Engine controls to work as intended in the Q400. I have read EVERY post in every forum in the know universe on how to configure the throttle in the CPAN and yet I get erratic reverse thrust and limited throttle movement.

I have no less than 10 hours into trying to get this bird configured to fly and am just frustrated beyond measure, as you might gather.

It is not suppose to be this difficult.

At this point I'm going to uninstall the software and reinstall and start from scratch.

I probably look like some complete noob idiot, however I have been flying and configuring ac in FSX, P3D and DCS for years and have not run into such a plethora of issues trying to get an ac configured to fly.

I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE INTO THIS. I WILL CONQUER IT!!!

Over and Out.

• Reinstalled software. I am now able to configure scenarios that start ready to fly. Yes, I have been opening the CPAN with Admin rights.

Still no airways listed from a VOR when LIST is selected from any of the already chosen airports or VOR FLP waypoints.

TM Warthog throttle is a bit more tame now, but still a long way to go to fly as designed.

Does anyone from Majestic work here still or is everyone still on "holiday".

Not to sound snarky, but three days is a push in a support forum. I believe it's a fairly valid request for help here.

Frustrated... yes.

• edited July 2018

I've checked out YYZ VOR and it seems the problem is as I suggested earlier; the AIRAC (FMS nav database) you are using is newer than the one the tutorial was based on, YYZ VOR no longer has any airways associated with it; the FMS isn't picking any up airways, because they are no longer any there. V252 was withdrawn completely in 2015.

As regards the throttle, I'm sure you're aware you need to calibrate the throttle within the MJC84 CPAN. The Q400 receives raw throttle position information from FSX/P3D but any other tweaks you've done with FS UIPC may not affect it, or even create a conflict.

Load the aircraft in FSX/P3D, open the MJC84 CPAN panel engine controls tab and read off the position values. Pop those in the boxes underneath for Max, detent, idle, disc and reverse, then apply in the CPAN and reload the aircraft in the sim.

Most throttles will give values from about 65000 down to 0. You won't go above detent in normal operations so that should be right up the top end of the throttle travel (in mine it's one off full travel, if I want Max power I have to press F4). Idle is flight idle, and disc is where the props are fully fine and providing a braking effect, beyond that you are in to reverse. That should help you with setting the numbers, for reference my disc is around 28000.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, over 950+ J41 & Q400 flights and 200+ for A320

• edited July 2018
    @Radial9
    The response from Master_Warning was on behalf of the MJC team.

@ckyliu.... Thanks for break down the of the route structure for I have not flown this for a while. There is a second tutorial which was compiled and should be available on the MJC site