Light Reflection on Displays

Is there a way to prevent the light reflection washing out displays as the aircraft turns?

The displays appears washed out when on the runway but when climbing out are unaffected. As soon as the aircraft is in level flight the displays have the washed out effect.

Comments

• No there is not way to disable this unless you disable shadows casting and receiving. Within the sim.
  • Hi
    I also find the reflection on the displays a little over done even with the internal shadows disabled. Definitely not a show stopper but a little annoying.
    Best wishes
    Bob

• @kroswynd said:
    No there is not way to disable this unless you disable shadows casting and receiving. Within the sim.

This is with the Shadow setting completely switched off. Is it what I should expect?

• edited July 2020

OK, I see what you are referencing now. No this feature is part of the model and there is no way to disable it.

I thought you were referencing the shadows/reflection due to variations of light on the flight decks.

• Have you tried turning up the PFD lighting, knobs just below the CDU displays. I find if I turn them up to 80% they are a lot more readable which overcomes the glare problem.

• @gaj52 said:
    Have you tried turning up the PFD lighting, knobs just below the CDU displays. I find if I turn them up to 80% they are a lot more readable which overcomes the glare problem.

Good call. Improves the display significantly. Thanks for that.

• I have to say that this much glare is pretty much killing the plane for me. As I’m using VR, the glare is moving with every head movement and is just looking “not right”. None of my other planes (FSL, PMDG) have this problem...
    Since I used the previous version in v5 before, I was hoping that it’s just a v5 incompatibility, but I was wrong.
    Is there any chance getting this “resolved” @kroswynd? I don’t want to call it a big issue, however, in VR (probably also with TrackIR) the glare seems to be...weird. :smile:

Cheers
  • Just to clarify my previous post:

The shadows in the glare are moving, of course. And yes, increasing the display brightness improves things quite significantly, but I’d still prefer a more thorough solution if possible.

Cheers
  • edited July 2020

The effect of light streaming into the cockpit is a great programming achievement but it makes the displays very difficult to read. I find that I have to keep popping out the displays to see them properly, which is destroying the immersion. It's a shame because the cockpit is really beautifully recreated otherwise. Would it be possible to make the "sunlight effect" an option, or at least make the effect a little more subtle?

• Well have our modeler look into this.... Thank you
  • Many thanks

• Your going to gripe about a real world effect, try reflecting real world sun on your tv screen, is it fun to try and watch?

• Hi,
    As in real life, it is sometimes very ennoying to read the instruments due to the low sun on the horizon. If you have curtains it helps, not on every aircraft. Majestic reproduced it very well and I found a very simple way to get rid of the reflections.
    With reflections:

Without reflections:

And you can resize the windows to your likings.
    Very usefull during toff and landings.
    Regards,
    JP

• @jimcarrel said:
    Your going to gripe about a real world effect, try reflecting real world sun on your tv screen, is it fun to try and watch?

A couple of pertinent points.

First of all the comment about real world sun and TV screens is irrelevant and unhelpful as is the suggestion that people are griping when they are in fact making a valid comment.

I appreciate the developers attempt to recreate a real world effect but in my opinion this is overdone as I will show in examples below of a few tests I have conducted.

In regards to the sunlight on the instrument panel it would be expected that at some point in a 360 degree turn the Sun would be in a position where it did not have an impact. This is not the case. Try taxiing in a circle and you will see that the repeated 'baked in shadow' continues throughout the circle.

After nightfall you would expect there would be no light shadow effect whatsoever but it is still evident although manageable.

In overcast conditions the light would have very little if any effect but in this case it is in no way minimised.

Interestingly the burned in shadow is affected and minimised by setting Internal Shadows to 'Cast' and 'Receive'. If only one or the other checkbox is marked there is no effect (probably a p3d issue). The Shadow Quality has no impact at all in the display so it can be set to 'Low'. This may be useful for some but if frames are affected it may make the aircraft less than palatable to use. Personally, I don't normally fly with any of the Shadow options checked but I will be now to manage this issue when flying the Dash 8.

On a final note this is one of my favourite aircraft and I am in not way wishing to appear overly critical. I'm just seeking what we all seek - the best experience for me. If others benefit so much the better.

• Just want to add something to the previous post:

The issue becomes more prominent when using TrackIR or VR. In VR, when turning my head left and right or up and down, the shadows move 40, 50 centimeters across the panel, even though my eyes are almost in the same position. The effect seems completely overdone and it feels unrealistic and “wrong”.

Thanks that you guys want to have a look into it @kroswynd, appreciate it! :)
  • We will look at it but not a guarantee that we'll change it especially if it is subject to personal opinion as everyone's computer configuration differs. V5 has some differences in how light is displayed which may have changed up things a bit there really isn't anything wrong with the Q400.

Cheers
  • This is, indeed, a matter of personal preference. My preference is to have it exactly as it is. The reflections and light cast across the glass displays is absolutely amazing (P3DV5), right down to the dust motes sitting on the more horizontal displays as they catch the direct sunlight. It's brilliant. Bravo.

• edit above: I meant to say the dust motes sitting on the displays. It really is amazing attention to detail :)

• WOW!!
    I know I am a bit late as I have only just started using P3D V5 and put the Dash 8 on, but I can't believe people saying these reflections are realistic. They are not.

Aircraft panels are designed by people who try NOT to have reflections on the panels. I actually saw reflections of the front windscreens! How on earth do they get on there?

This makes this aircraft annoying to fly, even with the screens as bright as they will go.
    I won't be bothering with it too much any more.

• Hi,

Are you using any shader mods (Envshade or similar)?

Rgds
    Reinhard

• @JohnKhan,
    OK I am able to appreciate that you are not pleased with some aspect or aspects of the results you are seeing in P3D v5, do bear in mind that the Q400 is an eight year old aircraft originally designed for FSX, and has held its own up through P3Dv5, which has had some significant changes done which has shown some oddities for some users.

Now, if you are going to rant about something I would appreciate it if you provide an image/video clip specifically on what your beef is to make sure that we are addressing your concern. Not knowing the setup of your simulation we are not going to assume what your potential issue is, if there actually is one, unless you provide additional information.

When you say that reflections in the flight deck are not realistic, are you speaking of reflections based on reflectivity when light hits the flight deck causing shadows from objects like the yoke to be displayed on the panel? If this is your issue then I would suggest that you try and gain access to just about any flight deck with a yoke and you are very likely to see the same. You also made mention reflections on the windshield, providing an image would be helpful.

The forum has had a few other discussions regarding reflections if you care not to entertain this topic any further based on you last statement.

Cheers.
  • edited June 2021

And you recon I had a rant.

OK here it is. And I read the other posts.

I went to school in England while my father was still working in India, and later Pakistan and I used to fly there during the holidays.

My first visit to a flight deck was in 1954 on a BOAC Argonaut. (They were DC4s fitted with surplus RR Merlin engines after WW2.Then on the first Comet, before they started crashing. After I was lucky to travel a lot and on every flight I took, while we were still allowed, I went up on the flight deck. That was 707s, VC10s,727s, DC9s, DC8s,F27s, 747s DC3s. Twin Otters, and Shorts Skyvans. I worked for Ansett Airlines for years including a stint in Port Moresby. I also did private flying in the 80s and 90s.

All I said was the reflections on the panels are not realistic in any way, nothing to do with reflections from the yoke!!!, what is that about? It just makes it hard to read the instruments. I do enjoy the aircraft and yes I treatise it is getting on but it is stated compatible with P3D V5, so if it has been updated properly it should be OK on that. I put the aircraft back on, now V5.2, and i have a lot of screen shots. Here is one.

In this the reflections also show on the overhead.

[url=https://postimg.cc/62PZH2Gc][img]https://i.postimg.cc/62PZH2Gc/reflections-1.png[/img][/url]

Can9t get images to work here.

• edited June 2021

Well there are 2 types of reflections present on the model:
    Instruments, PFD/MFD/ED (which I suspect is what you are referring to), and the Cockpit. The aircraft model has not been updated since its original release as that was not a primary focus. We targeted the systems to make sure that they were compatible and even required a significant re-write for the 64 bit platform. So from a visual perspective everything is the same and not quite sure what your issue may be but they differ somewhat from what we have in our test lab. One is always welcome to share their opinion which has been duly noted, but compatibility for MJC at this time pertains to being able to operate the aircraft as intended from a systems perspective whic is the primary focus for MJC. The visual aspect of the aircraft will eventually get an update - which is still no guarantee that it will be to your satisfaction.

Real image of an E145
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WMjR8QXxyTpuoGZx7

Real image of Dash 8-300
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ywo2arKFySDH9iUn9

Real image of CRJ 700
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UgPmhCvMGniraWw19

Q400 in P3D v5.2
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51002036881_e503d316c7_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50805618107_d1d3659581_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50619665697_92ddc92b39_k.jpg

• Look. All I was saying is that the reflections are not realistic and make it difficult to read the instruments.

I have no problem with the aircraft itself. It works well in V5.2, it is just those reflections that I find unnecessary and annoying.

reflections-1

I look forward to any updates and hopefully a way to get rid of them.

And I have also been in the cockpit of a Dash 8, QANTAS, after flying from Launceston to Melbourne, as we are no longer allowed there during flight. At the terminal there weren't many reflections.