Frame drop / stutter help please [RESOLVED]

edited July 2018 in Customer support

Using P3D 4.3 with Oculus Rift in VR

I wonder if anyone has encountered the following: just sitting on the runway, when I look around the cockpit, intermittently around every 5 seconds, the display will stall (i.e. stop moving for less than a second). This was actually happening to me with 4.2 recently, but I had been away from P3D for months previously and I'm sure it wasn't an issue before then. Maybe a new driver from the past couple of months or so? Appreciate any responses as this makes the sim unusable for me.

I had completely uninstalled all traces of 4.2 so was hoping this issue would not be there.

This is on a completely clean install of 4.3. The only other thing I have installed is fsuipc. I am testing by loading the aircraft from with the default flight. Do not see this issue with the other aircraft (f22).

Comments

• Just went for a flight, issue seemed to go away once off the ground!?

• check if fsuipc automatic saving of the situation might be active. It will cause stutters with Q400

• edited July 2018

Thank you getting back to me. The fsuipc autosave option was not turned on. However, as if by magic, the issue has now gone away all by itself. I haven't made any significant changes, so I am completely mystified. Sorry if I wasted anybody's time.

• You may want to back up your P3D.cfg and your mjc8.ini and keep in a secure location (for comparison purposes) just in case you have to make changes and the problem returns. It could also be as you mentioned a driver issue.

Cheers

• edited August 2021

Another year, another fresh install of P3D 4.5 and your wonderful aircraft. To cut a long story short, same issue (although I now have a Quest 2), but this time I believe I've tracked down the cause: it was the ____ing tooltips; after I turned those off the problem went away.

• Sorry to be a bore, but just adding in case it helps someone else. Notice the spikes I was getting in CPU util every 5 to 10 seconds, which would match with the (immensely irritating) head movement stuttering.

This was on a completely clean 4.5 installation with only your aircraft. I did not see this behaviour with any of the default aircraft, and would suggest that there might be an issue with cockpit tooltips being enabled and your aircraft. Of course I (and almost everyone) always turn tooltips off eventually, I had just installed and was testing, but still spent a number of frustrating hours trying to find out what was causing this.