Cold weather

Hi.
Question about cold weather.
I would like to know procedure to start when cold weather .
Because today not able to start engine -4 degrees celcius.
Someone show me on the plane where is the engine intake door.

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Hello,
    Cold weather operations for the Q400 does require one to enable to engine intake doors and heaters.

There are two buttons/switches on the overhead panel located below the ice protection diagram/indication of the aircraft which are green when deselect Ed (doors closed). When selected they indicate orange for the opening of the engine intake doors. When the temp is below +10 the heaters will become active and a second amber light will illuminate on the same switch.

For ground ops if they are not engaged during snow and or freezing rain operations the engines may fail to start and or flame out during flight due to ingesting FOD. Some of the parameters may be slightly exaggerated in some cases.

There are manuals provided with your addon kindly take some time to review them for a better understanding of the aircraft operation and where switches, knobs and levers are located.

https://images.app.goo.gl/i3xqLmagbzuUYeJR6

Cheers
  • edited October 2020

I beleive green it's door close and yellow open and heat.
    But i want to know where is door on the exterior plane not switch.As well i found i must request deice in fms data/service before start apu.
    But i don't find anywhete in manual cold weather procedure to start engine.

• edited October 2020
    The intake doors are on the underside of the engine cowlings aft of the intake. By design the doors are located there so that any FOD (snow, ice or birds, etc) ingestion will be extracted to prevent damage to the engines. Which is why many operators keep them open during all phases of operation.

You are correct regarding the operation of the switch/button.
  • Where is the door on the picture ?
  • Nowhere..... I mentioned in the previous post the underside of the cowling. Simply go in the sim open the doors and go and look under the cowling aft of the intake