One of the tiller sides doesn't work smoothly

edited October 2020 in Operational questions

Hi, I'm struggling to get the tiller axis working smoothly. It seems that one of the sides has a higher response compared with the other one. I tried to assign it using two different devices, but the problem remains.
Could you check this?

Marco Aurélio

Comments

• Hi,
    A bit difficult to trouble shoot your issue if ours seems to be working as planned. Letting us know a bit more regarding how you are binding your input devices may help

• edited October 2020

Hello "Kroswynd" :smile:
    I'm using aileron, elevator and rudder via mjc84.ini, as well, TCS and AP Dis. buttons; Tiller was configured to Axis Spoilers in Control Panel and assigned inside P3D4.5 Control page.
    Thanks.

• So to be clear, you are using a separate input device apart from your yoke assigned to the spoiler axis?

Have you calibrated the device in the control pan CPAN as well?
  • edited October 2020

@kroswynd said:
    So to be clear, you are using a separate input device apart from your yoke assigned to the spoiler axis?

Have you calibrated the device in the control pan CPAN as well?

First question:
    No, I'm using the same device, Logitech Extreme 3D, but using a different and unique axis for the spoilers, in other words, the twist movement on the device (Rz) for the tiller. For the rudder, I'm using Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

By the way, to improve the information above, follow a little excerpt from mjc84.ini, remembering, J1 is a Logitech device, and J0 is the Pro Flight Rudder device:

[FLIGHTCONTROLS]
    ; this means, no real force feedback available
    ElevatorInFSXmode = 1
    ; TillerInput = 0: tiller control is with mouse only
    ; TillerInput = 1: turning ailerons below 40kts will steer the plane
    ; TillerInput = 2: tiller is mapped to the spoiler axis
    TillerInput =2
    ; Tiller dead zone in percent/100
    TillerDeadZone=0.1

; Flight Controls positions from FSX
    ElevatorsByFSX=0
    AileronsByFSX=0
    RuddersByFSX=0

; CENTER AND DEFLECTION ARE IN THE 0x0000-0xFFFF range

ELEVATOR0_CENTER =32958
    ELEVATOR0_DEFLECTION =32768

AILERON0_CENTER =32768
    AILERON0_DEFLECTION =32768

RUDDER0_CENTER =32766
    RUDDER0_DEFLECTION =32768

BRAKEL0_OFF =1
    BRAKEL0_ON =65535

BRAKER0_OFF =1
    BRAKER0_ON =65535

ELEVATOR1_CENTER =32958
    ELEVATOR1_DEFLECTION =0

AILERON1_CENTER =32768
    AILERON1_DEFLECTION =0

RUDDER1_CENTER =32766
    RUDDER1_DEFLECTION =0

BRAKEL1_OFF =1
    BRAKEL1_ON =65535

BRAKER1_OFF =1
    BRAKER1_ON =65535

TILLER_CENTER =34814
    TILLER_DEFLECTION =46811

FORCEFEEDBACK_TWIST =0.00

YAW_DUE_TO_PROPWASH =1.0
    TURBULENCE_FACTOR =0.75

ELEVATOR_EFFECTIVENESS =0.4
    AILERONS_EFFECTIVENESS =1.0
    RUDDERS_EFFECTIVENESS =0.5
    PEDALS_STEERING_EFFECTIVENESS = 0.5
    AUTO_RUDDER_FACTOR =1.0

[ENGINECONTROLS]
    ; PARAMETERS ARE WITHIN THE 0x0000-0xFFFF range
    ; now tuned to the noisy sim

PL1_REVERSE =-4096
    PL1_DISC =2
    PL1_FLTIDLE =20000
    PL1_RATING =65535
    PL1_MAX =65535

PL2_REVERSE =-4096
    PL2_DISC =2
    PL2_FLTIDLE =20000
    PL2_RATING =65535
    PL2_MAX =65535

CL1_FUELOFF =5000
    CL1_START =23370
    CL1_850 =38158
    CL1_900 =53264
    CL1_1020 =65152

CL2_FUELOFF =5000
    CL2_START =23092
    CL2_850 =39032
    CL2_900 =53080
    CL2_1020 =65280
    AUTO_DIFFERENTIAL_THRUST_ON_TAXI =1

__[JOYSTICK_INTERFACE_ASSIGNMENTS]
    =; See SpecialFeatures.pdf Joystick Connector section for description
    ; Ailerons
    J1_X=FlightControls_->sensors.Aileron0_ADC
    ; Elevators
    J1_Y=FlightControls_->sensors.Elevator0_ADC
    ; Rudder
    J0_Rz=FlightControls_->sensors.Rudder0_ADC
    ; AP DISC
    J1_b4=AFCS_->inputs.AP_disengage
    J1_b5=AFCS_->inputs.TCS_button

[CONFIGURATION]
    cockpitConfigScript=ccColdAndDark
    ; Maintenance Deprecation Factor specifies how much faster the aircraft is weared off compare to the real life
    WearOffFactor=1.0
    ; Pause the sim when FMS1 Top Of Descend is reached
    PAUSE_ON_TOD=0

Second question:
    Yes, if you're talking about sensitivity and center inputs on the Control Panel, CPAN.

Just a little observation that occurred to me right now, Rz in the Logitech is the same in the Pro Flight Rudder; could that be the problem?

Thanks once more for your attention, fingers crossed!! :smile:

• OK so you are using the twist function of your joystick for the tiller which is normal, however, the twist function of the joystick will have a different axis assignment from the rudder pedals.

If you are configuring the tiller via the mjc84.ini (125 Hz Controls) then there could be a conflict if you are using the same Rz assignment for both - however, they are not on the same device, so double-check to ensure that you are using the correct input device assignment. But from the looks of it, you are not using the .ini for configuring the tiller.

However, if you are binding the tiller simply via the simulator's input configurator and or FSUIPC then there should not be an issue. One thing I should emphasize which you more than likely may have done is to ensure that your input devices are properly calibrated via your operating systems input device calibration tool, as we have seen some users affected by missing this simple step.

Keeps us posted.

Cheers

• edited October 2020

Thanks once more, Kroswynd!!

By-the-way, I've just checked the Joystick calibration via windows 10 (Devices and Printers), but the problem remains.

_Let gives us a temporary pause on this matter.
    _

I changed the tiller settings into CPAN to AILERONS+MOUSE and, the taxiing commands worked smoothly. I noticed, however, that the tiller pointer in CPAN didn't move, although it worked perfectly looking from inside the cockpit during taxi and take-off. Does it is normal?

Cheers,

Marco Aurélio, from BraSil.

• So you would be correct in that you will not see the tiller axis move in the CPAN if you have chosen the aileron axis to control nose wheel steering since that is already tied to the aileron axis.

So by linking the nose wheel steering to the aileron axis below 40kts the aircraft will be controlled by the nose wheel steering and you will have a +/-12 degree turning radius if using the rudder pedals.

About 40kts there is adequate air passing across the rudder to allow directional control during the takeoff roll just as it would be in the real aircraft.

Going on an assumption for your joystick twist feature, could it be possible that you may have a worn or dirty pot.

Keep us posted..

Cheers
  • Going on an assumption for your joystick twist feature, could it be possible that you may have a worn or dirty pot.

Hi Kroswynd,

I agree with you about the possibility of the device has a potentiometer worn or even dirty. Indeed, it is a 14-year-old Joystick, although I've been tried clean-up it before starting this thread.

I'm updating to P3D5 (DX12) right now. Everything discussed here will contribute to a better experience in the new platform.

Thanks a lot for your attention, it was a pleasant and wealthy time here.

Cheers,

Marco Aurélio

• edited October 2020

Hi Kroswynd,

As mentioned before, I've migrated to the P3D5 platform, and by-the-way, I'm satisfied with this, and I'm sure that was well worthy!! For those who are in doubt to upgrade to P3D5, thrust me, don't be afraid, the P3D5 version has improved P3D a lot; the Majestic, for instance, became much more pleasant on the manual flying.

Kroswynd, I'm back to give you feedback about the tiller issue mentioned on this thread; on P3D5, the problem hasn't appeared anymore!!
    _**I'm not using mjc84.ini to assign the controls, just FSUIPC 6, and guys, I'm not saying here that mjc84.ini is not good as well. I didn't try it in P3D5 yet.
    **_
    Yes, I'm guessing to acquire a new hall effect joystick.

Thanks once more Kroswynd!

Best of all.

• Thanks for the update....keep us posted