Major Flight Control Problem, No Ailerons

I am a long time pilot of the MJC Dash 8, this is a new problem. I recently upgraded to P3DV5, and the sim functioned ok. Then, after a time period flying other AC, I returned to the MCJ, and after loading ok, the ailerons disconnect from my yoke. The steering still works ok. My steering mode control is ailerons + mouse.
I tried a complete uninstall of the program and no help. Any advice most appreciated.

Comments

• OK OK, how long have I been flying this bird and never figured out the gust lock disables the ailerons!

• The manuals do offer some useful information, take some time and have a browse though them.

Cheers

• edited December 2020

Tundrabum You are not wrong. Something HAS changed recently but when is unclear, I also had an extended time away from the Dash8. I distinctly remember taxing either with the tiller or the yoke at my discretion with the power control lock definitely engaged.

Now . . . . all of a sudden there is interplay between the power control lock and the Yoke (aileron axis). When the power control lock is engaged, the Yoke is disabled and you must steer with the Tiller? How does a real q400 aircraft operate? When the power control lock is disengaged, then the Yoke is enabled?

The manual reads:
    “Ailerons+Mouse”: Tiller will be linked to the aileron axis below 40kts
    Indicated Airspeed. When selecting this option, do not forget to defer the
    application of the ailerons on takeoff and landings (especially for crosswind
    compensation).

The manual does not mention interplay between the Yoke and the power control lock. Why this change with no clear documentation for us?

So from now on, if I want to steer with the Yoke, I must first disengage the power control lock? If not, then I subject my index finger to carpal tunnel syndrome trying to hold the left mouse down all the way to the runway? This could be up to ten minutes especially at large airports.

Put it back the way it was - - -no interplay between the Yoke and Power Control Lock.

I also checked Pg. 82 of the System Description Manual.

• edited December 2020

I would appreciate a real world pilot comment

• edited December 2020

@IBOMiles
    The aircraft was released with this logic in place from day one. Taxiing the aircraft is and has always been permissible with the control/gust lock engaged as it ought to be.

1. When the control/gust lock is engaged the aileron functionality of the aircraft is locked, as it is in the real aircraft. However since the simulation platform by design assigns the rudder pedals for steering, we had to create additional options to make nose wheel steering functionality separate from the rudder input as this also does allow +/- 12 deg directional control while taxiing.

There are 3 options as you are aware to control the aircraft via the CPAN
    a. Mouse Only
    b. Aileron+Mouse (which is the one that you have chosen) - This option is primarily to be used with the Aileron axis of your input device, BUT one is also able to use the mouse if it is so desired.
    c. Spoiler Axis (additional input device required)

1. You are correct in mentioning what the manual states in that nose wheel steering is effective below 40 knots as it is so in the real aircraft as well. Above 40 knots directional control via the rudder becomes more effective as there is more airflow passing over the rudder.

2. Now are you querying the fact that you are not seeing the yoke move along the aileron axis with the control/gust lock engaged? If you are then that is correct. However, it does not prevent one from having nose wheel steering functionality once the nose wheel steering switch is engaged.

Furthermore, I am not sure how a real-world pilot would help you in determining the MJC Q400 logic in making the nosewheel steering work as the real aircraft is controlled via a tiller, with which we have programmed to be used in that manner as well. I'll be happy for a Dash Pilot to chime in as additional information is always welcomed for additional knowledge regarding the aircraft, but we have done quite a bit of research and made the best attempt to make the add-on as close as possible to the real thing, of course, there is always room for improvement.

Now if it may be a simple case that you are not able to get the Aileron+Mouse function to work maybe we need to see how your configuration is set up.

>
    Put it back the way it was - - -no interplay between the Yoke and Power Control Lock.
    >
    There is nothing to put back as "NOTHING HAS CHANGED"

There several hundred other MJC Dash pilots using this feature without issue.