Question before buying: Force Feedback compatibility

Hi Guys,

I have a force feedback Yoke: Brunner CLS-E Yoke and i was wondering if anyone jnows if its fully compatible with the yoke especially regarding the autopilot.

Also is the trainning edition only for Compagnies or can an enthusiastic simmer buy the trainning edition because stores only sell up to pro version?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited January 2019

Training edition is not yet released but I believe it will be available to the general public should you need to make use of the additional functionality or cockpit build.

I see no reason why the yoke wouldn't send input. I'm somewhat doubtful the force feedback would work since most sim peripherals do not have it (thus there is no demand for it to be implement in addons, but Majestic may have done so). Hydraulic controls (rudder and elevator on the Q400) do not provide much noticeable feedback anyway.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, 950+ flights for J41 & Q400 and 200+ for A320

• @ckyliu said:
    Training edition is not yet released but I believe it will be available to the general public should you need to make use of the additional functionality or cockpit build.

I see no reason why the yoke wouldn't send input. I'm somewhat doubtful the force feedback would work since most sim peripherals do not have it (thus there is no demand for it to be implement in addons, but Majestic may have done so). Hydraulic controls (rudder and elevator on the Q400) do not provide much noticeable feedback anyway.

ckyliu - Proud supporter of http://www.ViaIntercity.com, 950+ flights for J41 & Q400 and 200+ for A320

thanks for the information. The yoke has a feature where under auto pilot it will move just the yoke are moving in the sim, however on some add on like the IXEG 733 on XP11, yiu can't engage the AP with the CLS-E yoke for some reason, that's why i wanted t know if its the case with the Q400.

The yoke software will take into account the current speed of the aircraft and the current deflection and trim position. lets say you are perfectly trimmed for 200 kts and then you decel to 150 kts, if you want maintain level, you have to deflect more and more, and you will feel more and more pressure on the yoke so you know when you are out of trim. Also thanks to the force, you can make precise control input on the elevator and roll axis. because spring yoke are very very soft compared so you often give too much input.

I can still at risk but the pilot edition to test it and then updgrade to the Pro ?

• edited January 2019

You may encounter feedback problems because the aircraft is effectively slewed through the FSX/P3D visual world by Majestic's external NASA JSB flight dynamics computation. That means airspeed values, trim deflection and current deflection values you reference may not be reported by FSX/P3D back to the yoke's software in the same way a default aircraft would.

But the Majestic Q400 is a great product and the pilot version is not that expensive, you can upgrade to Pro just by paying the price difference. Note that Pro version optionally provides an alternative control input system known as 120 Hz controls, where the external FDE interacts with controllers through DirectInput instead of reading control values from FSX/P3D. This may provide different results in your force feedback.

• It would be a shame if a force feedback doesnt work correctly with the majestic, as it supposed to be used for pilot trainning.

I've sent them an email, i have to wait

• The Brunner website has had a full list of supported Profiles for some years.
    The Majestic Q400 has NEVER been listed there.

It would have been preferable to do this research before casting aspersions on a developer who never declared it was compatible in the first place... but you may find the reasons why it hasn't been made so by the hardware developer.
    It is after all, their responsibility.

But do let us know if Stefan Brunner is able to provide something.

• edited January 2019

@CMBAviator

Just to be clear "FORCE FEEDBACK" functionality is not a requirement for pilot training, which I am sure you are well aware of.

We have not used or been given a chance to test one of the Brunner yokes. However, the capability for Force Feedback functionality does somewhat exist, but more than likely would need to be programmed/activated.

I do know that currently, Brunner yokes do not provide any Forcefeedback, as I have seen from a user who uses it with the Q400. There are a few reasons for this:

1. There isn't any interaction with the mentioned yoke and the Q400 opposed to other default or third party aircraft in FSX/P3D aircraft due to our FDM/FDE.

2. There is Insufficient support in the DirectX interface for forcefeedback, and we are unable to calculate the force that will actually be produced by the DirectX on a particular yoke.

3. FF functionality is essentially a part of the full sim application, for which we will provide a package built on demand. Even if it would use the DirectX FF. If needed for commercial application Force feedback code will be made on demand for a particular type of a yoke so that the force can be tested.

The Airline Edition of the original Q300 (used for airlines and other professional entities) does have this capability once programmed.

Force Feedback functionality will not be made available for the TRAINING Edition.

Cheers