Cant remove wheel chocks and intake covers

Hey all, ive installed the Visual Expansion and whenever i select a gsx pushback or go to taxi the chocks and intake covers dont dissapear, any ideas why?

Comments

• Hello good morning. Same problem for me. How to remove air intake covers after external preflight tour ? Regards

• They disappear when an engine is started

• edited August 2021

@captn320 said:
    Hey all, ive installed the Visual Expansion and whenever i select a gsx pushback or go to taxi the chocks and intake covers dont dissapear, any ideas why?

@Nenesse said:
    Hello good morning. Same problem for me. How to remove air intake covers after external preflight tour ? Regards

Folks,

At the present moment the intake covers are removed upon engine start, which is not quite realistic as the engine covers IRL are usually moved prior to or during the pre-flight walk around (we may have to make an adjustment to this logic in a later update).

Correct answer provided further down in post.

The chocks are removed when the engine(s) go to Start/Feather to prevent FOD ingestion.

• Good evening.
    Thanks for anwer. To keep a high level of realism (As it is for this product) I think it should be nice to include a specific command in FMC/DATA/SERVICES as for GPU, GearPins, Exits... This is more important for customers using GSX.
    Best regards. Yves

• edited August 2021

Whilst I do not use GSX, it did occur to me a bit strange that an option to remove the intake covers was not coded in to the FMC in a similar way to "GPU Request", "Gear Pins" and "Deice". I do appreciate that the intake covers were added as part of the "Visual Expansion Package" and therefore effort would have been concentrated purely on visual elements, but if you're going to show intake covers, then the ability for the pilot to remove them before engine start seems like a logical one to add to me. Additional scripting should probably also prohibit engine start until the covers have been removed (in a similar fashion to the way the landing gear cannot be retracted unless the gear pins have been removed). After all, in real life, you wouldn't want ground crew to be diving in there to remove the covers after engine start, now would you? And, if you prohibit engine start until after those covers have been removed, you effectively also negate the requirement to write even more code to handle engine overheat events if the covers were not removed and the aircraft is flown (unless of course you do want to write such code, as for, say, the Training Edition).

• edited August 2021

@freddy @Nenesse @captn320

Correction on the intake plugs

A few tips in the cold and Dark configuration when turning on the BATT MASTER
    a. the pilots will appear in the flight deck
    b. when disengaging the brakes the engine intakes and pitot covers will be removed, re-engage the parking brakes and the nose chocks ONLY will be re-installed. (If the MASTER BATT is off and the parking brake is disengaged, the intake plugs, pitot covers and chocks will be removed.)
    c. nose wheel chocks will be automatically removed when condition levers are taken out of the Start/Feather detent to MIN/MAX, and will be re-installed when the condition levers are brought back to the Start/Feather detent

The intake plugs at the moment will, however, disappear upon engine start to eliminate the FOD ingestion and the possibility of users complaining that they have lost engine power, which by right is something that we can add to the FOD ingestion modeling, but under normal circumstances a marshaller would be of assistance to observe if intakes failed to have been removed prior to engine start. Although I have a crew member perform an engine start with the prop tether attached to the no.2 engine for an engine runup which the marshaller failed to see on a poorly lit ramp.

There are many possibilities, however this was "primarily" a visual update without having to perform too much backend work via the FMS, but there may be some room for tweaking the logic.

Cheers

• I’ve actually found that if you cycle the parking brakes on stand then this removes the intake covers, leaving only the chocks and you can reapply the parking brake without the plugs reappearing.

It would be nicer still if they could be tied to the click spot in the cockpit for the other plugs and covers?
  • @tredsell
    I have mentioned the correct logic of the intake plugs and pitot covers for reference in the thread above

Click spots is something that we try to avoid in our flight deck unless it aids the single pilot work load

Cheers

• I agree with freddy. Keep as far as possible this beautiful sim-aircraft close to real life. Things like a pilot and not like an informatician. Externals effects shoud be integrated in the flow of a real flight logic.
    Nevertheless thanks for the way to disappear pitotsflarms and air intake covers by parking brakes moving. But not realistic way...
    Bests Regards
    Yves

• edited August 2021

@kroswynd said:
    Click spots is something that we try to avoid in our flight deck unless it aids the single pilot work load

Thanks for the additional info regarding the correct logic of the intake plugs and pitot covers.

Personally, I would suggest that allowing the pilot (read: user) to remove these items manually via clickspots on the flight deck does aid the single pilot workload, indirectly (or directly?), in the following manner ...

With clickspots, these items could be handled as part of a realistic cockpit flow, or added to a checklist accordingly, thereby allowing the pilot to remove them at the appropriate time as per real life and further enhancing the realism and immersion of this brilliantly modelled and simulated aircraft. (Gear pins is a great example of exactly this.)

However, if the aim is to reduce the number of clickspots on the flight deck, then, the logic you've presented is just fine. 👍

• OK for me. Thanks for help.
    Yves

• The problem of the incorrect configuration of those parking items might be also related to how the default situation is saved. For example - it could be that the default situation is saved with park brakes off. In any case, we will attempt to investigate

• @Boss said:
    The problem of the incorrect configuration of those parking items might be also related to how the default situation is saved. For example - it could be that the default situation is saved with park brakes off. In any case, we will attempt to investigate

and this is why re-setting parking brakes is restoring the correct visual items