Q400 lost control during approch

edited October 2021 in Customer support

ILS 30L approaching to KSJC, with AP disconnected. The aircraft suddenly launches to sky, see attached screenshots. Speed seems reset to 0, with maximum vertical speed. Also engine shut down. Is this a bug?

Comments

• Are you able to replicate the issue? This however does seem odd, as it sounds like something may have disrupted the sim connect communication between aircraft and simulator.
  • edited October 2021

@kroswynd Yes, every time, about 5 nautical miles from KSJC runway 30L, the aircraft blows up by some strange power :'(

I'm using Orbx North California and KSJC addon. Haven't seen this issue with other airports yet.

• Does this loss of control happen with the disconect of the autopilot, or also with the autopilot switched on? Which simulator are you using?

• I thought it was autopilot enable/disable key assignment issue at the very beginning, but even I disconnected the autopilot in 3D cockpit (mouse), the issue still happened. The aircraft lost control after a few seconds with autopilot disconnected. I'm running the latest version of P3D v5 and latest version of Majestic Q400. If anyone also have Orbx North California and KSJC, please test to see if this problem is replicateable.

• Hi,

Some more questions: How have you configured your flight controls? 125Hz, FSUIPC, directly with the simulator? Could you provide a copy of your INI file? Are you using a special weather program? Which simulator version are you using and which version f the Q400?

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Hi Reinhard,
    I don't use 125Hz or FSUIPC. I use ActiveSky P3D v7877
    Sim version: prepar3D v5 Academic 5.2.22.27615
    Q400 version: 1.021

• Ok I did a test flight in the area this morning with ORBX SJC and True Earth North Cali and all appeared to go well. This test was done without the use of any weather addon. I also conducted the test without True Earth enabled without any abnormal behavior

• Hi,

Looking at your INI file, you obviously have calibrated the engine controls via the control panel. But the flight controls look unconfigured. Have you configured and calibrated them by the simulator or by the control panel?

In the flight control section I have the following values, which are diffrent to your settings:

; Flight Controls positions from FSX
    ElevatorsByFSX=0
    AileronsByFSX=0
    RuddersByFSX=0

Not sure if this makes a difference in your case.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Hi,

Another question: Are you using two yokes for controlling the plane? If not, you should follow the hint in the special features guide:

Important: Should both left and right flight columns be controlled via a single joystick (no split controls for the captain and first officer), the deflection values for the opposite side must be set to 0. Failure to do so will result in the flight controls range being reduced by 50%:
    [FLIGHTCONTROLS]
    /........./
    ELEVATOR1_DEFLECTION =0
    AILERON1_DEFLECTION =0
    RUDDER1_DEFLECTION =0

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Hi Daniel, and Reinhard,

The following lines should only be set to zero, when you are using the 125hz control system.

; Flight Controls positions from FSX
    ElevatorsByFSX=0
    AileronsByFSX=0
    RuddersByFSX=0

Daniel, something you may want to look at is TURBULENCE_FACTOR =0.75 .

The in-sim turbulence can be quite severe when using Active Sky weather. Try reducing this setting to 0.25, and also reducing the turbulence settings in Active Sky to something reasonable, like 35%.

Craig

• Hi,

Craig - you are right: I am using 125Hz control and by that have these entries set to 0. I used always the turbulence factor 0.75 together with ASP3D and have never touched it. In ASP3D I have turned of the enhanced turbulence, which is the default. If this is set, you might get in troubles.

Rgds
    Reinhard

• Hi @kroswynd @aua668 @Jax_in_BC ,

Thanks for all your testing and input. It indeed give me confidence that KSJC is still flyable :D. It's one of my favorite airports.

I doubt this is turbulence issue though as it's been turned off in my ASP3D. But the flight control configuration advice shed some lights on the issue. I switched from Saitech yoke to Honeycomb a while back and never configured the control in the Majestic control panel. I will do that this weekend and report back here.

Appreciate your professional support gentleman.

Regards,
    Daniel Li

• Hello everyone,

Just wanted to provide a quick update. I made a few flights during weekend and they all went successfully.  Even to KSJC 30L ILS approach. I did change the values as previously suggested but then my yoke and rudder not working. I had to change them back.  

ElevatorsByFSX=0
    AileronsByFSX=0
    RuddersByFSX=0

Regards,
    Daniel Li

• Thanks for the heads up. Good to know that switching to the 125Hz configuration help to rectify your issue.

I will say however it still seems rather strange that you would encounter such drastic loss of control in the normal P3D control binding configuration, granted the P3D flight controls and the Q400 do have some lag but not enough to cause your phenomena.

Cheers