Critical Failure at approach

It happened to me once before in Norway in very similar conditions, just after GS capture.
The Aircraft finally ended spiraling out of 58000 ft with both engines inoperative (engine sound was still playing) and ITT at 915 degrees.
I am using Pro edition with visual enhancement in v5.3 HF1.
Apart from these incidents the aircraft works without any other issues.

Comments

• We have identified the issue which seems to be driven by the gear extension event on flights over a certain time frame.

An update will address this issue in our next patch.
  • Thank you for very fast response.
    Can it be avoided in any way?
    Is there any approximate date of the patch?

• Any idea on the length of flight before the issue arises?? I also had this issue in Canada twice in near two hour flights

Kind regards
  • edited January 2022
    Seems that the issue on flights over a 90 min period.

This topic was a recent discussion item when it was discovered by a few simmers

http://majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/1248/bug-about-training-models#latest
  • Correct, both flights in which the incident occurred were over 90 minutes. This was my setup during flight, I hope it will help resolve the issue:
    Route KEGE-KGRI
    MjcQ400 PRO + visual enhancement
    P3D v5.3 +HF1
    Active Sky P3D
    Pro ATC/X
    EzDoK camera
    Navigraph module to show AC pos. on charts
    ORBX open LC NA
    ORBX vector
    ORBX free airports package with KGRI
    ORBX KEGE
  • I did a test flight of your route, using the Q400 Training edition, and had the same crash as you have noted. I have had this issue with the Training edition before, (see kroswynd's link) but never with the Pro. I am wondering if the visual enhancement pack may be the culprit here. That seems to be the only common denominator between these 2 instances.

Cheers, Craig

• edited January 2022
    Well I tested <90 minutes flight to KGRI from KCYS. Aircraft flipped as before just after I lowered gear lever. The sim is pretty unflyable for me now and I am a bit frustrated. I personally think it’s v5.3 or hotfix interaction.
  • I don't believe it's P3Dv5, as I have had similar incidents in P3Dv4.5. We'll just have to wait for Majestic to release the patch.

• Same here, cannot wait for the fix.

• edited January 2022

I have had this problem as well. I'm running the latest Q400 Pro Edition, with the visual extension pack. P3D v4.5.

Eagerly waiting for the fix.

• It’s been over a month the issue was acknowledged and replicated. Is there any chance we will get ETA on a solution soon?
  • A possible solution has been found and is being tested as there are few other issues needing to be rectified after making those changes, it takes time
  • Thank you. I appreciate it.
  • Subscribe "Me Too" in this case. I reinstalled P3D just to fly this plane and ended up in a violent spiral of death.
    I thought it might be Win11 or something else I messed up and decided to drop P3D of my system again....

• Yep ... same here as well.

• I’ve just received an e-mail from just flight about new installer with some minor fixes. Is the issue resolved?
  • I have mine from SimMarket and nothing there. Also loging into my account (from MJC Syspan) did not reveal anything new.

• Unfortunately some vendors tend to produce the installers quicker than others. Hopefully we hope that this will be up for all vendors by the weekend.
  • I would say that Just Flight were wanting to avoid a repeat of the poo-storm that occurred during the Training edition release. Being first out of the gate with the new installers is a perfect way to show that it was a one time issue, and they do deserve our patronage. So, Thanks again, JF crew.

Jax

• I had the same critical failure on approaching EGHI after flight (>90mins) from Innsbruck. Glipe slope intercepted flaps 5 and wheels down and then disaster with the only message "Altitude Mismatched". Repeated the flight and got exactly the same result in the same position.

Is this the same problem and if so is it addressed in the Pro Edition Update which I have ignored because I am using W10.? If it is not the same problem I would love to know what I am doing wrong.

I have the Pro Edition and llove it. P3d v5.3HF2

Sarumlad

• Generally this bug was only identified in the TRAINING and COCKPIT edition, with the fix included in the new installers. Can anyone here confirm, it is still appearing in the new PRO edition installers ?

• Yes, I had it on takeoff yesterday. I had just changed the AFCS_FSX_SYNC=0 in the ini file. Flying from CYVR on 08R YVR1 departure. After turning right to 215 to intercept YVR, I engaged the AP and shortly after that the aircraft stop responding to any command and started a left turn spiral down.

• My crashes are not related to the time of flight. Just flown from EGPB sumburgh altitude 21ft to EGHI Southampton elevation 44ft 574nm and landed pertfectly with no problems at 1800ft when I interecepted the glide slope and put the gear down, duration of flight nearly 2 hours .

Also today I have flown from LEGR Grenada elevation 1860ft to LEBL ( EL Pratt) elevation 14ft and on intercepteing the glide slope and lowering the gear at 1800ft all hell broke loose as if I had hit the ground.!! This behaviour is very similar to that on my previous two flights from Innsbruck( LOWI) elevation1907ft and Southampton (EGHI )elevation 44ft. reprted on the 11th Feb above.

It is as if the aircraft assumes the landing altitude is the same as that of the original takeoff so that on lowering the gear at an altude at or below the takeoff elevation promotes panic stations and a spiralling into oblivion.

It does appear to lowering the gear is part of ther problem but I think the relative altitude of the take off and landing airports has sometthing to do with it also.

I am not yet using the new installer.

Hope that my observations are of assistance,

Sarumlad

• > @dwadsworth said:
    > Yes, I had it on takeoff yesterday. I had just changed the AFCS_FSX_SYNC=0 in the ini file. Flying from CYVR on 08R YVR1 departure. After turning right to 215 to intercept YVR, I engaged the AP and shortly after that the aircraft stop responding to any command and started a left turn spiral down.

That issue does not seem to reflect this issue being discussed.
  • > @sarumlad said:
    > My crashes are not related to the time of flight. Just flown from EGPB sumburgh altitude 21ft to EGHI Southampton elevation 44ft 574nm and landed pertfectly with no problems at 1800ft when I interecepted the glide slope and put the gear down, duration of flight nearly 2 hours .
    >
    > Also today I have flown from LEGR Grenada elevation 1860ft to LEBL ( EL Pratt) elevation 14ft and on intercepteing the glide slope and lowering the gear at 1800ft all hell broke loose as if I had hit the ground.!! This behaviour is very similar to that on my previous two flights from Innsbruck( LOWI) elevation1907ft and Southampton (EGHI )elevation 44ft. reprted on the 11th Feb above.
    >
    > It is as if the aircraft assumes the landing altitude is the same as that of the original takeoff so that on lowering the gear at an altude at or below the takeoff elevation promotes panic stations and a spiralling into oblivion.
    >
    > It does appear to lowering the gear is part of ther problem but I think the relative altitude of the take off and landing airports has sometthing to do with it also.
    >
    > I am not yet using the new installer.
    >
    > Hope that my observations are of assistance,
    >
    > Sarumlad

What Edition of the Q400 are you using?
  • The Pro Edition with the Visual Extension Package.
    I have not noticed behaviour before and I have ben flying this aircraft since you created it!! But most of my flights are in the UK and Europe with airfields at less than 500ft.

Sarumlad

• Just had this going into TUS on the ILS 11L sim crashed and sent me to the coast of Africa after gear was selected down. Version 1021b according to the standby attitude indictator plus the visual enhancement package.

• Thanks for the update. I will give this a go in the sim to see if I am able to replicate. At what point did this occur - Gear extension?

• Yes, at gear extension. Flight was approximately 45 minutes long. I have the PRO version, is there an update I could do?

• @q400sim said:
    Just had this going into TUS on the ILS 11L sim crashed and sent me to the coast of Africa after gear was selected down. Version 1021b according to the standby attitude indictator plus the visual enhancement package.

Looking closer at your post I noticed that you are using version 1.021b is a very outdated version of the Q400.

I would strongly advise that you update to the most recent version, which is 1.024, as we addressed this issue over a year ago. I was in the process of starting the test and re-read your post noticing the older version.

the updated version should be accessible from the vendor from which you purchased the Q400.

Cheers

• Thanks kroswynd, I bought from sim market and downloaded their installer. Updated, but now my sim says I'm on 1023b. How do I update to 1024?

Thank you!

• edited January 2023

We've forgot to change it to reflect 1.024 but the correct version can still be visible in the index.html

Cheers